The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Little Girl Loves The Woods

595 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BCozhunter 
#1 ·
My original plan last night was to hang a stand quickly and then go climb into a different spot with the bow. Instead I decided to take my daugther along to hang the stand.

She just turned 5 but she has had a chance to spend a decent amount of time in the woods for her young age. Her first couple of years she would go out with "Pap" to take walks, split wood, and hunt mushrooms while Mom and I were at work. She's also had the opportunity to do some fishing at a local camp that invited us out to fish a stocked pond for juniors. She loves to shoot a 22 at the range even though she's too small to hold it and she has to sit on Dad's lap.

One of the best things is to listen to her try to run a coyote howler. My wife and our dogs absolutely love listening to her walk around the house blasting away on that thing for an hour or so. To make things more interesting those evenings I usually give her little brother a rabbit squealer. It's great but I usually don't get supper those nights.

Back to the treestand trip. We've taken these types of walks quite a few times in the last 2 years. The funniest thing is watching her in the woods. She walks around making more noise than a 3 legged elephant and makes game calls for every type of animal you can image. Last night her mom had her dressed in pink from top to bottom and every few feet she would call for deer, bear, turkey, and the occasional tiger. On top of the calling noise she is convinced that within 2 seconds of her calling something should come running straight to us for her to see. I tell her over and over her calls are great but she should try the quiet approach instead. This usually last for about 10 seconds and it's back to the 3 legged elephant routine.

Then there is the eye spy game. She says, "I spy with my little eye something brown." That's it. All the description I get. After I guess leaves, trees, branches, dirt, etc she'll point to a single tiny little twig about 80 yds away and look at me with the expression of "How didn't you guess that?" I don't have the heart to tell her that everything in the woods is green or brown.

So after about an hour we made it maybe 200 yds. We did end up getting the stand hung although I doubt any deer will come within 400 yds of that area for the next 10 years. Ha.

Truth is I don't really care. It was a great evening with the little maniac and who knows maybe she will end up being a hunter for life. For now I'll settle for just spending a few hours with her in the woods on our little adventures. I definitely had more fun with her last night than climbing into a stand.

By the way, I didn't get any supper last night either. We didn't get home until 7:30 so Mom wasn't very happy with me. After my daughter ate some mac & cheese and I gave her the coyote call just for good measure.

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.