The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planting a new plot in a spot where I hunt. It's about a 40 yard by 30 yard area of cleared pines. The owner just cleaned up most of the area this past winter. It's full of weeds right now. The property is on a mountain top with very few openings.

Given that it was a last minute idea, are there any liquid lime products to balance the ph quickly? I've been looking at plot start by deergro, but haven't seen many reviews. Are liquid or granular fertilizers better for food plots?

I was planning on planting wheat, oats, and brassicas in the plot. I am slightly concerned that the deer will hammer the plot early, leaving little forage later in the year.

What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
cleared pines = low ph in all probability.

Depending on the surrounding area there may be many more beneficial approaches for this fall than trying to force fit a low production food plot.
If you believe a food plot is the best choice for that location long term, then initiate a long term plan to do so. Soil test, brush hog this year's growth, apply soil amendments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.