The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about the line preferences that the anglers in this forum have.

This question applies to the spin and bait fishers since the tippets that fly fishers use will vary based on the type and size of fly used.

Since trout are line shy, I prefer 6 pound low visibility green line but will go as low as 4 lb. I will use clear blue line if I can't get green line.

In a couple of occasions in PA, I have used 8 lb. line, but only when fishing large plugs in big rivers in higher flows. Finer line breaks too easily in those conditions.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
6 and 4 lb Fluorocarbon and sometimes 2 lb. I have a different set up than most. I bait fish with a fly rod. reel and line and the Fluoro is my leader. In the past I used mono in the same poundage,, this is my second year using Fluoro and I like it for my situation. Seaguar is the brand I use.

·
Registered
434 Posts
That is exactly what I use for spinners, the 6lb low vis green. I have used the 6lb magnathin than trout2003 uses, but it is not as easy to come by.

·
20,166 Posts
Stren 6lb Magnathin. For the life of me I can
Never figure out why a trout angler would opt for any other line. 6lb strength with 4lb diameter. Very low memory and stretch too. It's a complete no brainier to me for trout fishing but what do I know haha.....

·
20,166 Posts
troutdoorsman said:
That is exactly what I use for spinners, the 6lb low vis green. I have used the 6lb magnathin than trout2003 uses, but it is not as easy to come by.
This is true. It's not in many stores. Only Cabela's. I order on line. I try to find free shipping. Don't get me wrong here. Other lines work great obviously but you so oman little advantages by using a stronger thinner line that is always made me wonder why it didn't take over the trout fishing world haha.

·
Premium Member
24,182 Posts
Since I use bait most of the time I use Stren 6lb test clear blue fluorescent line, I like to be able to see my line.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trout 2003 said:
troutdoorsman said:
This is true. It's not in many stores. Only Cabela's. I order on line. I try to find free shipping. Don't get me wrong here. Other lines work great obviously but you so oman little advantages by using a stronger thinner line that is always made me wonder why it didn't take over the trout fishing world haha.
I like 6 lb. Magnathin too, but as I remember, it doesn't come in 1,000 yard spools, which is how I like to buy line. I don't remember if it comes in low-vis green either.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Several of the more successful trout anglers that frequent our shop fish wax worms on a size 20 fly hook and use sewing thread as line. Works for them and they catch a fair share of larger fish?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I wish they made that it Low Vis green. Not sure why they make the original but not the others.

·
20,166 Posts
They make low vis green in magnathin. For spinner or plug fishing I really doubt it makes any difference at all at the diameter we fish with, but it's available.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
both of my 4 1/2' rods (one Ultra lite, One Micro lite) are spooled with 4# stren in Low-Viz green.

For the bigger streams I use a 5 or 5 1/2 foot rod both with 6# Berkley Fireline in smoke gray.

One thing about the Fireline, It's rated as 6# test, 2# diameter.....It is very hard to break. I got snagged once and wrapped the line around my hand and gave a yank. It didn't break....Just sliced my hand.

I keep a wooden dowel in my fishing bag now for just such an occasion.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Silver Thread AN-40 6lb - It is also a thinner diameter line. The AN-40 is supposed to be all weather and since I shift my attention to walleye during most of the winter it's my choice.

I had started with the Magna-thin but Stren had issues with it breaking and they took it off the market - They reintroduced it 3years later but I've been quite pleased with the Silver Thread AN-40 and haven't gone back

It is hard to find(impossible locally) so I order on-line ... example http://www.lurenet.com/silver-thread-an40-fishing-line-bulk-spools-3664

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
troutdoorsman said:
2600 yards of line for you TT, eat your heart out!

https://www.amazon.com/Stren-Magnathin-S...n+magnathin+6lb
I would never buy a spool that big.
Would sit around too long..

Maxima Chameaolon (spelling) is almost invisible (try tying on a fly at dusk) ..

I buy the small 25 yd spools (true fluorocarbon) and only use a tippet section at a time , then micro barrel swivel - then main line - clear Berkley Trilene mono.
Especially with spinners to prevent line twist..

your mileage may vary

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put up with line twist; I never use swivels of any kind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bringing up an older thread to avoid a new one...

I have been using 4# Floroclear.. basically because it is cheaper. Would you consider this line okay? I am thinking about changing to 6# Seaguar Red Label.. which is the same diameter as 4# Floroclear. Has anyone used the Seaguar? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Not sure if it'll be helpful spin, but I would take most of the recommendations in this thread as great line for trout. When I fish with spinning gear for trout, I almost always use either green or clear blue Stren 6lb with a swivel, down to 2lb - 4lb Stren with a #10 or #12 hook (for bait) or directly from the line onto a spinner if I am using spinners. I think any line that doesn't rat's nest on you every cast and is somewhere between 4 and 6lb is probably just fine for trout. If it has been catching trout, why switch? You can always get a second rod and reel to try other lines, or when the line needs changed try something new. My opinion, don't fix what isn't broken!

·
Registered
13 Posts
psycho.. I'm so new that I'm not sure if the Floroclear is working as well as it can for me... I only catch couple/few where I fish.. which is regarded as highly pressured.

I was thinking about a change to the fluorocarbon for all the qualities that it's touted for.. less visible, less stretch, more sensitivity, and more abrasion resistant? Plus more strength at same diameter is appealing..

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have never used fluorocarbon of any kind so I can't really say on it. I have always used mono. I have had days on highly pressured streams where you catch a fish or two, and I've had days fishing on the same streams with the same line where I caught 30+ fish in an hour or two. You could always try adding a few feet of fluorocarbon leader line (5 - 6ft somewhere in the 2lb - 4lb test range) and see if it improves your catch rate. If you start catching more fish, maybe they are line shy and changing out will help. That would be what I would try, though from what I hear it can be difficult to join mono directly to fluorocarbon so you will probably have to look up a few knots that would work for you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts