The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a good season so far in Ohio and NY (although the weather was miserable in NY) I started hunting Pa. Wednesday. Other than a couple of Jakes Saturday, I had yet to even work a bird in Pa. and heard very little gobbling and lots of hunters.

Went to a farm I deer hunt yesterday and got into a roost area and the woods came alive at daylight. Sounded like three Jakes and a big bird. I was not in the best position as there was a fallen red oak between me and the birds and they worked to just the other side of it. All I had to do was wait. Just then, Alarm PUTT...where the heck is he? Then I glanced under the trunk of the fallen tree and I see the culprit, a jake. I didn't booger them to bad, but enough that they cleared out. I backed out and went to another area and walked and called for miles and never raised a single gobble.

Went back in the same area this morning and got into a better position. Jakes were there, the longbeard was across the road!!! After some hustle, re-positioning several times, I found myself about 60 yards away form his last gobble, in some thick autumn olive and multi-flora rose. I was backed in against an autumn olive bush in a hedge row, a definite less than ideal spot, but it was where I needed to be. Gave two soft purrs on a raspy D and five seconds later there's a big white light bulb popping out of the brush right down my gun barrel...BOOM.

21 1/2 lbs., 10" beard, 1 7/16 right spur, 1 3/8 left spur.

·
Premium Member
24,211 Posts
Nice bird congrats

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Congrats, Tony...

That's a fine gobbler.....

I'm getting treated like a red-headed step son....LOL!

Continued success....

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Sounds like a great bird! Congrats!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I know these spurs are possible because other people keep killing them.
I just want a set for myself!

My wife's cousin has a legitimate set of 1 9/16" and 1 5/8" and he hunts some of the same areas I do.
One of these days I guess.

Good Job.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They're out there but they're few a far between. That was the biggest I've killed in quite a while and he's definitely in my top five best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts