The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just returned from Lilypond Creek Outfitters in Jackson, NC. I am not as eloquent as Loridr is with his post hunt evaluations, but here goes. First, thank you to Loridr – he and I spoke numerous times prior to my three day deer hunt (one buck, two doe) there as he has hunted with Dock Boone and his team numerous times.

I have nothing but positives to say about Lilypond! They are an excellent group of people who took great care of us. All accommodations were stellar. The meals were all delicious home cooked meals – Dock even took a turn at cooking! The lodge/house was clean; showers were hot, plenty of space, comfortable beds, etc.

Unfortunately, the weather was weird! Thursday morning the temperature was 28 degrees. Friday morning it was 58 degrees. Saturday morning 58 degrees and foggy. It rained hard Friday evening/night. Thursday morning was also extremely bright from the moon. All things that cannot be controlled.

I missed a doe Thursday night, but did kill two doe Friday morning. I did not see any buck to shoot at. My hunting partner saw a good amount of deer, but just did not have good opportunities after wounding one Thursday morning. We could not find the doe he shot.

The staff is great and are very hospitable. We had many good laughs over the last several days.

Lilypond is outstanding and I plan to hunt there again. If you hunt there, take binoculars and a range finder. I did not have a range finder and it would have come in handy.

I've attached a few of the pictures I took.

Mike76er

Attachments

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
Glad you had a good time Mike. Congrats on the deer. I'm booked at Thornbury (Verona) along with my friends Bob and John for next November 18th - 23rd, 2019.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why so late ? rut?
I always have off work between Christmas and New Years so I figure I'd hunt somewhere other than PA. That's the only reason for the timing.

With that said, when I go back to Lilypond, it will be earlier in the season.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
why so late ? rut?

Bohunr, the rut in that part of NC is the same as ours, middle of November. That said, my buddy John was down two weeks before Mike and he killed a heck of a buck. Post rut can be really good for the big boys, they need to eat after starving themselves for a month.

With Mikes permission, I'll post a pic of John's buck, don't want to hijack his thread.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With Mikes permission, I'll post a pic of John's buck, don't want to hijack his thread.[/QUOTE]

Go for it!

·
Premium Member
23,636 Posts
Enjoyed your hunt report Mike!! Congrats on your deer!! Looks like a nice place to hunt per your posts & following Steve's reports! Would love to do a hunt there once I clean-up he kids college debt which im finally starting to see a glimmer of light at the end of the long tunnel!!

Also, pass on congrats to John on his dandy buck!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They asked if we minded hunting there; we just had to follow the 14 inch wide rule. Didn't really matter to me so I said sure.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
They asked if we minded hunting there; we just had to follow the 14 inch wide rule. Didn't really matter to me so I said sure.

FWIW

Late in the season with fewer hunters, Dock only has one lodge open and that's Lily. If there are a mix of hunters, I guess it's easier to hunt them all together if possible, and the guy's that paid extra to hunt Verona are going to want to hunt there. It's also possible that Dock wanted to take a few more does off of Verona before the season ends (tomorrow actually). Guy's hunting Verona tend to be trophy hunters and tend not to shoot many does, and there's also a fine for button bucks on Verona, which tends to make guys spooky about shooting does.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks BoHunr! I'm pleased with how I did. We saw deer even though the weather and moon weren't in our favor. I'll pay closer attention to the moon next time...

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
The way Dock operates makes it hard to play the moon, he doesn't like hunters "jumping around" as he puts it. He pretty much books full every season, and all his hunters have "dibs" on "their week" before he'll take anyone else that week. So, if you don't re-book for the same week every year, you can be out of luck trying to get in, especially if you have a group, unless you're hunting late in the season when things slow down.

We couldn't get into Lily our preferred week next fall for this very reason, and had to take Verona instead. For three years we hunted Lily the 2nd week of November, prime rut, but gave up the spot because Bob and John got the bug to hunt Verona. Good thing about our week this coming year is we'll be on the last quarter going into the new moon.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
with everything that went on there when you and mike went, full moon, rain, and you guys still did great, what more could you ask for. excellent place...

Hey Bohunr. Thing is I am gonna be all tore up having to pass up 13 7/8" inside spread bucks on Verona next year. :sad:
Unlike Deerfield, Dock takes his restrictions pretty seriously. I certainly won't shoot a dink, but I may just have a fine in my future. :wink2: After that, maybe Dock will think a little harder about getting me in at Lily. >:)

Dock, if yer readin' this, jus kiddin'. :grin2:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts