The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snow Dog Tree Carnivore Dog breed

It was a special day for this girl. It was one of those hunts that I didn't expect much to happen. I decided to take Lilah on a quick afternoon hunt, hoping to find a couple grouse. I decided to go to a spot where Koal and I had flushed a pair of birds a couple of times last week. Lilah started out pointing 2 birds along a skid trail. The first bird flushed above the trail and flew straight away. I got off a quick shot and knocked the bird down. At the shot, a second bird flushed and flew across the trail. I swung on it but didn't get off a shot. Lilah didn't see the first bird go down and chased after the second bird. I called her back to the spot where the first bird went down . Unfortunately the bird ran off. Luckily there were patches of snow and I was able to find some tracks. I put Lilah on the tracks and she seemed to pick up the scent and started uphill, but quickly lost the track. I was able to find some more tracks and we located the bird tucked up under a log. I figured that was our excitement for the hunt. We followed up on the second bird but ended up bumping it. We started back along the skid trail head for the truck. We went maybe 80 yards and Lilah went on point. Just as I was questioning if it was a true point, a grouse flushed about 15 yards away. Lilah took off after it and a second bird flushed. I swung on the second bird but didn't shot. It landed a short distance away, so I called Lilah back and a 3rd bird flushed about 20 yards out. I shot at that one but didn't connect. It was a great hunt, 5 birds pointed and on in the bag. Lilah did great, but has a lot to learn on tracking wounded birds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts