The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm goin to Colorado this fall for elk and lookin for a lightweight rifle in 300 WSM what do you recommend? I'm leaning towards a Remington Titanium

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
winchester mod 70 shadow. i have on in 7 wsm nice carrying gun fairly light and durable.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I bought a new Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM.I think it's ideal for what you are looking for. I had a Kimber once and it was a piece of junk and Kimber was terrible to deal with.Seems like Kimber quality is hit or miss and this is not just from my experience.I have a friend who likes his Kimbers, some have shot well and been kept, others have been traded off, still two others were rebarreled.The new FN model 70 is a nice rifle.I think the Remington Ti would also serve you well.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
In that price range the 3 most usually compared are the Rem Titanium, Kimber 8400 Montana, and Sako 85 Finnlight. How can you fault any of them on much more than personal preference. IMO the Sako gives the most consistent assurance of very good accuracy, 1" 5 shot guarantee. But that doesn't mean the others won't shoot that good or better, but it just seems hard to find a Sako that doesn't shoot exceptionally well. For my preferences I just really like a removable magazine too, and I like their integral scope mount rails and very good and equally very expensive optilock scope rings (no lapping required). I have a Finnlight in 270wsm.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My dad has a Win model 70 "Coyotelight" 300 WSM it is light weight and boy is it a shooter

·
Registered
392 Posts
The new model 70's also have a MOA accuracy guarantee.Sako's are hard to beat,just not a fan of there plastic stock. The new Winchesters have a true composite stock with aluminum bedding block. Another thing that I like and is personal preferance is that the Winchester and Remington are not excessively light on the barrel end as are the Kimber and Sako Finnlight which makes the rifle settle down quicker for a shot.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Remember the lighter the rifle to more its going to bite you on recoil, unless you are thinking of reducing recoil somehow (brake, pad, mercury).

I'm shooting a 300 WSM Remy 700 and it weighs in around 8.5 pounds fully loaded. I am going to carry my 12.5lb 300 RUM this fall.

What kind of hunting are you doing? Backpacking? Horses?

You need to be in shape to hike up and down the mountains out here anyway, so I would go with the rifle you like best and not put so much emphasis on weight.

Just IMO. Where are you headed in CO?

·
Registered
392 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
wiktor said:
The new Winchesters have a true composite stock with aluminum bedding block.
What does that mean?? What is a "true composite??". Tom.
It means it is a true laid up fiberglass , carbon fiber, or kevlar stock as opposed to a "tupperware" thermoplastic stock.

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
SMITTY 300 WSM said:
I'm goin to Colorado this fall for elk and lookin for a lightweight rifle in 300 WSM what do you recommend? I'm leaning towards a Remington Titanium
In the lightweight arena, it's hard to beat the Ti.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
wiktor said:
I had a Kimber once and it was a piece of junk and Kimber was terrible to deal with.Seems like Kimber quality is hit or miss
I have a couple of Kimber rifles. There is no problem with quality. They are quality weapons. There has been some problems with the accuracy of their Montana which is a very lightweight rifle.

I have also dealt with Kimber customer service on one occasion. I returned my Montana for a new bolt spring and the rifle was back at my home six days later after explaining that I wanted to take it on an upcoming hunt. That is customer service!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have and have seen problems with their wood stocked rifles as well. Mine had to go back twice for repair. Also, they dinged up the bottom metal and stock the first time and accused me of doing it, when talking to a manager they became VERY defensive and rude. Do a search of their customer service,accuracy, and feeding problems. You'll get a lot of feedback!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I didn't doubt you. I heard of the problems but I had the exact opposite experience.

BTW if anyone has accuracy problems with the Montana send me a pm. I found a few "built in" problems that can be corrected and may improve accuracy.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'd take a Browning, but I'm partial. Their standard rifle in 300WSM is lighter than most and if you still want to drop weight the Micro version is even lighter.....they offer a Titanium version as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts