The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard on the news that some people where struck by lightning at the race today. Hope everyone is OK.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Sadly, 1 person was killed.

UPDATE: Shortly after 7:30 ET, Pocono Raceway officials announced that a fan was pronounced dead on arrival at a local hospital. Details have not been released.

---

Tough news out of Pocono, as the same storm that shut down the race after 98 of a scheduled 160 laps also sent down a lightning strike that injured ten fans just outside the track.

Pocono officials indicated that several of the fans were treated and released from the infield care center, but that five were transported directly to local hospitals. Their names and conditions were not released. In all, two fans are listed as critical, one as moderate, two as minor, and five treated and released.

"Me and my friend just ran into our truck during all the nasty weather," Kyle Manger, a race fan from New Jersey, told The Sporting News. "The visibility was very poor and all of a sudden (I) saw a bolt of lightning right in front of our windshield. When it became a little more visible, we saw two bodies next to a destroyed tent with people scrambling."

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
That stinks about the death man. 2nd worse is Jeff Gordon winning the race. I don`t watch anymore, but I hate to see that little slimeball win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts