The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here a few from the summer. Their my first shots of lighting not the best the two are behine a glass door and their not to strait.

This one I think was the best of the three. I had door open and its pretty strait.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rugged Hunter said:
Nice job! How did you get them? I've always had to try at night, so I can take long exposures. How do you do it in daylight?
Well there was lighting all around on the Mountain and my camera shoot a slow 3fps so I just press the shutter and got a bunch of shot and got lucky I had a lot of useless pictures while doing this.

I would really like to do the night lighting I just haven't had the chance to do it over the summmer.

·
Registered
731 Posts
geesekiller said:
I had a lot of useless pictures while doing this.
I know all about that! LOL... I use a 35mm film camera, so I can't see what I got until the next day. I gotta bracket everything and take notes about each exposure so I know what settings were used on the pics that turned out. Usually 3-4 keepers out of a roll.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rugged Hunter said:
geesekiller said:
I had a lot of useless pictures while doing this.
I know all about that! LOL... I use a 35mm film camera, so I can't see what I got until the next day. I gotta bracket everything and take notes about each exposure so I know what settings were used on the pics that turned out. Usually 3-4 keepers out of a roll.
Yeah right with you shooting film I'm sure you get alot of useless photo's with my camera being Digital I can see what I take and erase them right away. Have you ever thought about going to digital?

As for my Camera it in my signature Nikon D40X I have the 18-55mm lens and the 70-300mm VR lens.

·
Registered
731 Posts
geesekiller said:
Have you ever thought about going to digital?
Oh yes... When I first got started, there were no digital SLRs...you had to make your own CCD camera, and "digital noise" was a huge problem back then during long exposures, so dry ice was needed to keep the camera cold. Then the digital SLRs started popping up for a grand or two...or more...about 6 years ago. Now they are getting quite affordable, but not for me...not yet at least.

Are you able to expose for an indefinite period of time yet with those? If you can keep the shutter open for an hour or so, you can make some awesome star trail photos! Just find Polaris and aim there with something interesting in the foreground. And for lightning, just expose for a minute, aiming at the approaching storm. It's like fishing for a lightning bolt.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rugged Hunter said:
geesekiller said:
Have you ever thought about going to digital?
Oh yes... When I first got started, there were no digital SLRs...you had to make your own CCD camera, and "digital noise" was a huge problem back then during long exposures, so dry ice was needed to keep the camera cold. Then the digital SLRs started popping up for a grand or two...or more...about 6 years ago. Now they are getting quite affordable, but not for me...not yet at least.

Are you able to expose for an indefinite period of time yet with those? If you can keep the shutter open for an hour or so, you can make some awesome star trail photos! Just find Polaris and aim there with something interesting in the foreground. And for lightning, just expose for a minute, aiming at the approaching storm. It's like fishing for a lightning bolt.
Yeah I can leave my shutter open as long as I want or as long as the battery will last. I have the wireless remote. I just need a better tripod and head. I just don't have the money for a good tripod right now being that a good one is a few hundred dollars and then the head is another few hundred dollars.

My problem is that I don't really know what I looking at in the night sky. I need to learn the night sky and stars or get somebody who know it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts