The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used a lighted nock because it was my understanding that they add weight, and I'd have to site my bow in before I hunt based on the added weight causing the arrows to sink more. I talked to a guy who said the ones being made now add a very minimal amount of weight and you don't have to adjust your sites. Is this true? Any recommendations on the brand to get?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I shoot Nockturnal's. I shoot a PSE Decree Ti and they did not make a difference out to 30 yards. My buddies shoots a Hoyt Defiant and his arrows dropped 3" at 30 yards. He also shoots different arrows than I do.

Regardless, any changes to an arrow you really need to see what it does. Change in broadhead, different nocks, different fletching, etc. Having 100% confidence in your setup is priceless.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
My practice arrows and bolts I shoot don't have the lighted noks but my hunting arrows/bolts do. I see really no differance in point of impact if I alternate the two, and I have shot both side by side. I have lumenoks and nokturnals.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Last time I shot, the evening before Saturday's opener, I shot to verify everything at 20, 30, and 40. One FP, one BH. BH arrow had a Nockturnal, FP arrow had a regular nock.

All hit side by side. At 40, I think they were 1" apart, give or take. If someone can shoot well enough to know if that's the nock doing it, I am in awe of their talent with a bow. Both were centered in the 10-ring on my 3D deer, FP hit about a half inch or so left of my aim point, BH hit about the same to the right of it. I'm pretty sure my sight pin subtends more area than the span between those shafts.

I get it....any change likely has SOME impact on the way things are flying, but when they hit like that at 40, I can't see this being an issue for a hunter.

I'm shooting a Hoyt Defiant at about 63lbs, 29", 28.5" Easton FMJ 340's, 2" fusion fletching, and 100gr points. BH is a 100gr 3-blade Muzzy. Plain jane, old school Muzzy heads.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The difference in weight between some of the commonly used nocks and the lit ones is in the 10 gr. range and probably won't make a noticeable difference at most hunting ranges but I would shoot just to make sure! Also, my friend ran into an issue where the lit nock was smaller and didn't fill the gap in his string loop and were not as tight on the serving which caused some problems.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
If someone can shoot well enough to know if that's the nock doing it, I am in awe of their talent with a bow.

THIS. I think that lighted nocks are one of the best things to come along for the archery hunter, IMHO. I've been using Nockturnals for about five years now and LOVE them. The difference between my regular nock and the lighted nock is 7 gr.

I only wish I was good enough to tell the difference between a 435 gr. arrow and a 428 gr. arrow. They both hit the bullseye at 40 yards.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Also, my friend ran into an issue where the lit nock was smaller and didn't fill the gap in his string loop and were not as tight on the serving which caused some problems.
I believe this is the most common problem for those who have tuning issues with lighted nocks. Weight more than likely gets the blame though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I shoot Gold Tip arrows with Nockturnals and last year I shot a doe early in the season. When the arrow hit the deer I thought something looked odd on impact, the lighted knocked never disappeared like it went through the deer. When I got down the knock came out of the arrow on impact of the deer. Arrow had a complete pass through but the nock on impact came out of the arrow and never went into or through the deer. I emailed them and they told me to put a little super glue to hold it in place, hahaha. Not sure if I'll ever get them out now, lol.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I also shoot Nockturnals and was shooting them tonight just to make sure they were hitting the same as my regular nocks and at 42 yds they were hitting the same as my regular nocks !

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
They make no difference on my setup, but check yours to be sure. They are one of the best things a bowhunter can add to his bowhunting equiptment. You can see your hits or misses much easier, and you can find your arrows on passthrus or misses much easier also.

I missed a 40 yd coyote a couple years ago and the arrow went under leaves. No problem, waited till dark and could see the glow from the stand before i got down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yesterday shooting I misjudged my distance and shot into a tree my target was on. Shooting GT pro hunters and my lighted nock also flew out so I super glued them in. Hoping that solves the issue. Nothing worse than shooting and animal and not being able to locate arrow or shot placement.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Yes, I put on the nocturnal strobe nocks last week. I hate how you have to turn them off. Also, have to be real careful when you put them on the string so you don't turn them on. They have a small notch to catch the string before it depresses the button. If you go to far, it comes on.

We shall see.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Nockturnals are the way to go, they weigh 20gr except the universals with the sleeves in them might way a touch more but im not sure. Either way nockturnals are much better and simpler than lumenocks imo as ive used both and the lumenocks were a pain. Nockturnals are very easy to use and reliable

1 - 20 of 29 Posts