The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of comparing the lighted nocks for crossbows from eight different manufacturers.

Some pretty interesting stuff as far as brightness, battery life, ease of installation, easy off, durability etc..Here are some pictures of 3 red LED nocks and 3 green LED nocks. One nock in each picture is much brighter than the others. That does not necessarily mean its battery won't last as long as the others either.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
So which is the brightest? I tried some green Lumenoks this year and will say that I prefer the red over the green. I think the red shows up better in the field, but maybe it is just my eyes.

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cspot said:
So which is the brightest?
The one on the right in the first picture and the one on the left in the second picture.

·
Registered
749 Posts
im curious to your testing as in now using the BC nocks but they are kinda a pain to turn off in my alum arrow shafts..and had one turn off on me last year on a passthru shot..

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
walkercoonhunter said:
im curious to your testing as in now using the BC nocks but they are kinda a pain to turn off in my alum arrow shafts..and had one turn off on me last year on a passthru shot..
TenPoints Omni-Brites, NockTurnal Predator, and the Carbon Express LaunchPad will all work in your Aluminum shafts.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
wallcoonhunter I have had almost all of my BC nocks turn off on pass through shots on animals and also just shooting into a block target. I switched to nufletch a couple of years ago!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
How are the Omni-brites doing in the test? I just purchased half dozen of me and haven't had a chance to play with me yet.

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blue, PM sent.

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hootshoot said:
Be careful with the nocturnals.if your x-bow is 350fps or more I'd use something else.they blow up.
The new Nockturnal Predators have a aluminum housing. They shot OK for me at high speeds. The earlier version Nockturnals I did not trust for that reason.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you want the best then take a good look at Firenocks. They are not the cheapest or the easiest to install but once you have them set up they are far superior to any other lighted nock on the market.

Check their website out. The gentleman that I spoke to at the company was extremely helpful when I had a few questions about installation.

I swear by these and will use no other. I have recommended them to a few friends who now feel the same about them as I do.

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hunt41fish45 said:
Well.. how is the testing going. I'm sure there are many interested crossbowers. I like the scientific mind at work!!!
Wrapped it up. Blew up a bow in the process when a nock failed at high speed. Some were very bright, some not so bright. Battery life is all over the place.

Really can't say too much more yet until late June when the article is published

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The article came out today. My opinion is the Lumenok is the brightest and scored well. Firenock is very bright and a darn impressive nock. A tie with Lumenok but not for everyone as they are expensive and require some significant assembly. Clean Shot Nock Out is the most user friendly with nice features. I saw a catastrophic failure of a Hunting Revolution Full Moon nock. basically blew up a Mission MXB400 when the nock failed.

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NiceRack! said:
How did Carbon Express lighted nocks fair?
Very average. The least bright of the bunch. Battery life was a tad below average. They do have the easy off feature which is nice. Push to light, pull to turn off. Batteries can not be replaced.

·
Registered
19,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ANTLERKING said:
DPMS just curious to how the nufletch lighted knocks did in your shoot out.
Scored average in most categories. They were very reliable. Light can be removed for practice to save battery life.

One of the heavier nocks, average brightness, fair to poor battery life. If using moon nocks, have to be very careful with indexing since you have to remove the nock to turn off the light.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Your tests are spot on with what I have seen as well. Lumenok are tough to beat. I do like the Omni-Brites just because they are so simple to use. The nock adapters are almost impossible to foul up and make it simple to switch from one type nock to another.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts