The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting back into archery after 20 years was an easy choice. I found a nice used Hoyt all set up for hunting at a great price, purchased some carbon arrows, and I started hitting the range. So now that I have my basics covered (I think) I'm looking forward to the fall.

How important is a lighted nock and or wraps for hunting? Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
868 Posts
Lighted nocks are a matter of convenience for some who like to watch their arrows fly to the intended target. One caveat is that they increase the weight of your arrow and they're expensive.

Wraps elevate the arrow cool factor and reduce the time needed for arrow fletching. I personally use white wraps but no lighted nocks.

Mark

·
Registered
200 Posts
Should you hunt in the thickets like I do (Laurel mostly) that are near impossible to crawl through it is nice to see a glow in there after you had made a shot and it has gotten dark outside. Lighted nocks are expensive but a big plus. Practice with it though after installing. Practice always practice.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Lighted nocks are heavy. I prefer a white nock and white fletching. You can see arrow flight well and find arrows easily using the white. As far as wraps go, the only down side is if you only need to replace 1 vane, it can be a PITA without having to replace the wrap and all vanes.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Neither is necessary or important, but both can be useful in different ways. Wraps help in terms of fletching because it makes vane removal so simple and a quick rubdown with some acetone or alcohol and your ready to refletch, or in the case of reflective wraps it helps with finding your arrows after the shot. Lighted nocks also help to find the arrow after the shot, watch the arrow during shot, and can help for tuning as it allows you to see the arrows every move in flight.

However when using either wraps or lighted nocks you must consider the affect they will have on your arrows spine, adding weight to the back of the shaft makes a shaft act stiffer.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Both are used for visual reasons. I use wraps because they are relatively cheap, but think it is not useful to use a lighted nock; unless you are planning to film your hunts, don't use one. The lighted nocks weigh too much and changes your foc.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
I just put white wraps on my arrows with white nocks and white tiger stripe 2 inch blazers. These "new" bows (lol mine is around 9 years old or so) shoot much faster than my old, old bows I shot prior to upgrading so I always said if I got around to fletching my own arrows I was going to use white wraps as well to aid me in seeing where they hit. lost a deer to bears one year cause I rushed the shot and afterwards thought I made a bad hit, waited overnight then tracked it 60 yards to where it died and was feed on overnight by a momma and some cubs, arrow hole right through the chest cavity.... figured that all that white on the end of my arrow might just help and if not they look really, really cool when that 20 year old archer sees them he'll think this 40(cough 40+) archer is the coolest.....good luck. Keystonepaul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts