The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
Savage just came out with a lightweight. I don't know the price but Savage is usually priced less than others.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the T/C and ruger ain't gonna be cheap. savage could be the cheapest. light and cheap don't usually go together. might want to look for a used synthetic marlin or savage.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The question of the hour is...How light do you want? An hour or so on the net will get you allkinds of weights and suggested retails.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Used Contender Frame---$225
Used Carbine Barrel------$175
About any good stock----$100
Looks like about $500 to me for a really nice rig. That does not sound too expensive to me for an accurate-high quality-light weight rig??

I am sure of those prices. I just bought another frame and two barrels myself in the past 60 days. A 45-70 barrel and a 223 barrel. Plus I bought an additional 22LR barrel for $150. So I am pretty sure about the pricing.

The fellow I bought the action from is on another forum. And I believe he had another frame for sale. If you are interested I will let you know who he is. Just send me a PM. The frame I bought from him had a really nice trigger job done on the action. Tom.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Remington SPS and ADL are on sale all the time, best buy out there. And they are light, maybe too light if you want a heavy cartridge. steven 200 are the lowest cost reasonable rifle available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
found this on a site I was reading
hope it helps

Ultra-light rifles that weigh in the area of 5 pounds are hard to hold steady from field positions and hard to swing smoothly on running game, even if recoil (as in the case of a .22 rimfire) is not an issue. They should be avoided for
general purposes. Practically any rifle should weigh at least 6 to 7 pounds or its handling and practical accuracy (how accurately it can be shot in the field) will suffer.

Rifles chambered for relatively mild CXP2 class game (deer and antelope) cartridges, such as the .243 Winchester, .243 WSSM, 6mm Remington, .250 Savage, and .257 Roberts should weigh not less than 7 pounds, and about 7.5 to 8 pounds is probably ideal. Rifles of that weight chambered for cartridges in this class are pleasant to shoot, as they should be. Varmint rifles for these cartridges will be heavier, of course, probably 8.5 to 10 pounds.

7 to 8 pounds is also a good weight for traditional "deer" rifles chambered for such cartridges as the .25-35, 7-30 Waters, .30-30, .32 Special, .35 Remington, .38-55, and .44 Remington Magnum.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ACH said:
found this on a site I was reading
hope it helps

Ultra-light rifles that weigh in the area of 5 pounds are hard to hold steady from field positions and hard to swing smoothly on running game, even if recoil (as in the case of a .22 rimfire) is not an issue. They should be avoided for
general purposes. Practically any rifle should weigh at least 6 to 7 pounds or its handling and practical accuracy (how accurately it can be shot in the field) will suffer.

Rifles chambered for relatively mild CXP2 class game (deer and antelope) cartridges, such as the .243 Winchester, .243 WSSM, 6mm Remington, .250 Savage, and .257 Roberts should weigh not less than 7 pounds, and about 7.5 to 8 pounds is probably ideal. Rifles of that weight chambered for cartridges in this class are pleasant to shoot, as they should be. Varmint rifles for these cartridges will be heavier, of course, probably 8.5 to 10 pounds.

7 to 8 pounds is also a good weight for traditional "deer" rifles chambered for such cartridges as the .25-35, 7-30 Waters, .30-30, .32 Special, .35 Remington, .38-55, and .44 Remington Magnum.
A properly adjusted Safari sling will solve the issue of steadiness with a light weight rifle.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I'm a huge fan of light weight. There are many guns out there that fit that bill. Just too many veriablrs to make a suggestion.

Bolt, single shot, pump, lever...you name it. Plus to top it off, how far do you plan to shoot?

I'm going to hazard a guess and sat utmost accuracy isn't a huge factor. Most pumps weight in at around 7lbs. Most lever guns weigh around 7lbs. Most bolt guns weigh in at around 7lbs.

Do you sence a pattern?

I love light weight. After a long day even a few ounces make a difference. You got to decide what you really need in a huntung rifle. Will one shot really be enough? Do I really want a pump?

For a working mans gun it's hard to argue with Ruger. If you are above a workings mans wage by all means have a ball.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How do you use a Safari sling ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've fouind with really light rifles (like my A-Bolt titanium) that balance is the bigger issue in shooting accurately. Because of the lightweight receiver there is still a little muzzle weight which helps alot. Rifles with cut barrels or thin barrels and heavy receivers are hard to hold steady for me.Also,mine is a 308 and the recoil is fine, good stock design helps a great deal!If you want a quality ultralight you're going to pay for it! Someday I'd like to get a New Ultra Light Arms,in my opinion they can't be beat.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
Used Contender Frame---$225
Used Carbine Barrel------$175
About any good stock----$100
Looks like about $500 to me for a really nice rig. That does not sound too expensive to me for an accurate-high quality-light weight rig??

I am sure of those prices. I just bought another frame and two barrels myself in the past 60 days. A 45-70 barrel and a 223 barrel. Plus I bought an additional 22LR barrel for $150. So I am pretty sure about the pricing.

The fellow I bought the action from is on another forum. And I believe he had another frame for sale. If you are interested I will let you know who he is. Just send me a PM. The frame I bought from him had a really nice trigger job done on the action. Tom.
i guess it depends on your definition of budget. heres a good budget lightweight rifle. 6.5lbs and around $300 if you look a little.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/centerfireboltaction/xl7.asp

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222813574

granted the t/c is a fine gun and more versatile for sure.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The original Remington Mountain Rifles, if you can find one for sale, are tough to beat. Super balance, great first shot accuracy, and light as a feather. I am a die hard Winchester collector, but my M700 Mountain rifle in .280 Rem finds itself in my hands more and more as I get older.

·
Registered
511 Posts
hunter724 said:
How do you use a Safari sling ?
Sling that is attatched to swivels and the sling goes over the shoulder while the rifle hangs parallel to the ground. The gun "hangs" in front of you. When you bring it up into a shooting position, the sling pulls tight on the muzzle and butt end of gun. It gives a tight fit feel and really stabilizes the shooting platform. You lterally "push" the gun into position and if you have it adjusted perfectly the butt slides in the shoulder pocket, cheek weld is right on, your sight picture is in line and the "pull" on the muzzle combined with your support hand keeps the front of the rifle very stabile. I bought one at Cabelas so you should be able to find one on their website to look at.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Winchester '94 or a Marlin 336. Either one chambered in 30-30 with a Williams peep on top.
There you have a light weight, great handling, quick to the shoulder rifle with all the power and precision needed out to about 150 yards or so.
And you can also shoot them at spittin' distance without worrying about your scope filling up with brown.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts