The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a light recoiling 20 ga. slug (rifled or sabot) to be used by my 12 yr old daughter. Any suggestions?. We have a .410 that she can handle without any complaints, but I'm a little concerned about its power. I'd like to have something a bit heavier, but not knock the daylights out of her.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
also, look into a mercury recoil reducer. it will take the sting out of full 20ga slug loads. keeps energy up down range, and makes the gun a bit easier to handle.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My daughter shot her first deer in Ohio 2 years ago with Remington Managed Recoil 20 gauge shells, they do make a difference with recoil. That was out of a Mossberg pump youth shotgun.

Later she said " that gun doesn't kick in the woods dad"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up with some Remington "Managed Recoil" Buckhammer 7/8oz. rifled slugs. 1275fps at the muzzle. All the other rifled loads were showing 1500-1900fps. I set her 870 up with a Sims Vibration Labs recoil pad, Cheek-eez cheek pad, a saddle mount and a Truglo red dot. Hopefully the combination will work.

I looked at the mercury recoil reducer and that may be an option if she has problems. We'll shoot it this week and find out.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Sounds like you've done a great job setting up that gun....

I'd forget about a mercury reducer....it adds weight in the buttstock, throwing off the gun's balance and doesn't do squat to reduce recoil, at least in the trap guns I've shot with it installed....it also (or used to from my experience years ago) creates movement that can be felt as it compresses under recoil....

If that barrel has a forcing cone, removing it would help...

Keep in mind that a properly fitted stock is the best recoil reducer there is....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts