The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Light for night hunting

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Dieseldemutis 
#1 ·
I dont really have the money to waste on a scope mounted light right know. So I was wondering would a spotlight or any other light be good if one person shines and the other one shoots?

#5 ·
O I have one but it dies quickly I have a corded sportlight that has a read filter lense for it I was thinking about carrying a car jumper the rechargebal ones because it has a cigerate lighter plug in on it I used that spotlight with the jumper for a few hours before when fishing.

#6 ·
I know that many people on here frown upon these lights for some reason and I don't kn ow why but look up ultrafire CREE LED lights on ebay. Look for the 501B model. You can get red, green, blue or white and can also get the other colored LED bulbs for about $8. I have a green one for my gun mounted as it is a little brighter and came with a pressure switch. I actually just ordered another one in red for scanning. In my last order, I got the light, 2 18650 rechargeable batteries and a charger for $20 shipped. Can't beat that anywhere.

Compared to the Kill light 250, the ultrafire is as bright if not brighter and about the same size as the 100. My sister's boyfriend uses the kill lights so we use them together all the time. The only difference I have seen is the battery life is a little less but the rechargeables on ebay are only $2 so you could stock up on them to carry with you.

#7 ·
Oh, and I would recommend that each person has a light of their own. When I was just getting started, I had no light and relied on the scanning of my sister's boyfriend. I had a real hard time seeing eyes. Once I had my own light I had no issues. Also, if you both have lights you can both be shooters and hold the lights for one another without having to pass it back and forth.

#8 ·
I'll let you in on a secret! You owe me now!

Ok go to the camping section at wal-mart. Buy one of those cheap $5 lights with the handle on top, the one with the 6 volt battery. Then go buy a red sharpie. Color the lense with the red sharpie. If you need it darker, apply another another layer with the sharpie. The batteries are cheap and last a very long time, and the top handle works great for shooting with a rifle or shotgun.

Total investment is about $6.

I shoulda been a millionaire.....

#12 ·
Lackawanna Fox said:
get a coon hunting head lamp
what kinda headlamp do u have a little led one?
Yea its a field and stream it [censored] I tried using it for blood tracking that didnt work and what kind do you reccomend and how many lumes.

#14 ·
grouse11 said:
I know that many people on here frown upon these lights for some reason and I don't kn ow why but look up ultrafire CREE LED lights on ebay. Look for the 501B model. You can get red, green, blue or white and can also get the other colored LED bulbs for about $8. I have a green one for my gun mounted as it is a little brighter and came with a pressure switch. I actually just ordered another one in red for scanning. In my last order, I got the light, 2 18650 rechargeable batteries and a charger for $20 shipped. Can't beat that anywhere.

Compared to the Kill light 250, the ultrafire is as bright if not brighter and about the same size as the 100. My sister's boyfriend uses the kill lights so we use them together all the time. The only difference I have seen is the battery life is a little less but the rechargeables on ebay are only $2 so you could stock up on them to carry with you.
Due to my limited budget I went with your recomendation and ordered the ultrafire CREE LED 501b on ebay didnt order the extra led so hopefully white works for know.

#15 ·
bdemutis said:
O I have one but it dies quickly I have a corded sportlight that has a read filter lense for it I was thinking about carrying a car jumper the rechargebal ones because it has a cigerate lighter plug in on it I used that spotlight with the jumper for a few hours before when fishing.
I use a jump battery I bought at Harbor Freight. It is smaller than most, easy to pack and works great.

BTW I do use a gun mounted light and pressure switch. I could not shoot accurately without a gun mounted light.

#16 ·
Dogface said:
bdemutis said:
I use one I bought at Harbor Freight. It is smaller than most, easy to pack and works great.
I honestly didnt think of harbor freight theres one 30 mins away from me.

#17 ·
I just checked mine. It is a Chicago Electric Item # 91045, Jump Starter and DC Power Source.

What I just noticed was that it has a manufacture date of 02/2004. It is still going strong.

#18 ·
You won't be disappointed with that light. If the white light does startle the animals, which is still up for debate, then you could always do what kyle said and color the lens ref with a sharpie. Either way, you're not in it much so you don't have much to lose. I have already shot two foxes with mine and had no trouble seeing them out to even 150 yards.

#19 ·
grouse11 said:
You won't be disappointed with that light. If the white light does startle the animals, which is still up for debate, then you could always do what kyle said and color the lens ref with a sharpie. Either way, you're not in it much so you don't have much to lose. I have already shot two foxes with mine and had no trouble seeing them out to even 150 yards.
Yea just need to get mounts for my gun or find a way to rig it to my gun for now.

#20 ·
You coyld get a Noxx flashlight for 30 i think, and a scope mount for around 10$ on amazon... the light is a red cree bulb with adjustable beam and it very bright compared to a regular flashligt with a scope you could probably shoot 100 yards, the link to their site is on the side of your screen under the sponsors links. if not that 6v flashlight idea sounds pretty good, never tried it but that would work fine for basicly nothing. good luck

#23 ·
arc said:
You coyld get a Noxx flashlight for 30 i think, and a scope mount for around 10$ on amazon... the light is a red cree bulb with adjustable beam and it very bright compared to a regular flashligt with a scope you could probably shoot 100 yards, the link to their site is on the side of your screen under the sponsors links. if not that 6v flashlight idea sounds pretty good, never tried it but that would work fine for basicly nothing. good luck
Thanks yea I baught the one grouse was talking about but I got the 1000 lumne one so I should be able to see a pretty good distance.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.