The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing dry wall on the second floor of a small house. There is really little room to maneuver or bring in a lift. I mounted two 2x4's to the wall studs by hinges, screwing the hinges up leaving only a half inch between the top of the 2x4 and the ceiling joists. leaned the dry wall against the 2x4's and lifted the loose ends of the 2x4's. I had nails in the joists at the other end with rope loops to put around the 2x4 ends to hold them up. It held the dry wall up snug against the ceiling joists while I screwed it fast. Not sure if there is a better way, but this worked fine for me working alone.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
ingenuity at it's finest!

we bought a lift and have since sold it. since then we've been coming up with similar clever ways when work needs done.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
We did that for years, worked great on 1/2 and 3/4 inch rock, 8 or 12 footers. Was a lot better than holding it up with the top of my head, and was a lot easier on my neck and shoulders too.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I call friends and offer beer and pizza. Works...

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Adam said:
Friends either get to old or to smart for that trick to work after awhile.
Easier to get a Mexican crew in to rip out, rock, tape and finish and spend your time doing more complex work with a compound bow or shot gun in the fall.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Adam said:
Amen on that! We did a 2200sq ft addition all ourselves, minus the foundation and roofing. It was done by a huge group of pizza eating, beer drinking friends and family Heck even some of the lines are straight

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I had to redo my roof a few years back. 32 square. I called in the posse. Had my (ex)wife and a buddies wife manning the grill cooking up burgers and dogs plus plenty of other stuff and we had it all off and back on in 8 hours. That included getting all the junk into the dumpster and everything. Had 3 teams of guys running air nailers.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's the small rooms that give you the biggest headaches. That it a great idea. What ever you can do to make a job go easier is worth it no matter how odd it sounds.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Birch812 said:
Adam said:
Easier to get a Mexican crew in to rip out, rock, tape and finish and spend your time doing more complex work with a compound bow or shot gun in the fall.
Never mind that 99% of the time they are illegal.
-lack insurance(so if they burn your house down oh well)
-don't pay taxes
-send there money "home"
So yes you will have time to do other things. It's part of what's wrong with America today. What's easier or cheaper.

Anyhow I'm off my soap box. If you get to hanging cielings again and need a drywall lift send me a pm. I'll lend anybody one if they don't hire illegals.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
chester farmer said:
Birch812 said:
Adam said:
Never mind that 99% of the time they are illegal.
-lack insurance(so if they burn your house down oh well)
-don't pay taxes
-send there money "home"
So yes you will have time to do other things. It's part of what's wrong with America today. What's easier or cheaper.

Anyhow I'm off my soap box. If you get to hanging cielings again and need a drywall lift send me a pm. I'll lend anybody one if they don't hire illegals.
Sorry you got your pants all in a bunch, hiring the people standing outside Home Depot was said as a joke.
I would not let anyone work on anything I own who was not a legitimate contractor who couldn't do better than I could.

Some of the biggest contractors building homes in your area use Mexican framing and rocking crews.......look at any Toll Brothers development if you don't believe me.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I agree they do. If you want to know if there lega just ask. They openly will admit there not. I walked out to my truck and met a drywall crew working across the street. I asked if they had insurance and were legal. All while video recording with my phone. They said they were not legal and had no insurance. I asked who they were working for and they told me. Go figure it's our Senator Smuckers brother. Then it got silly. I called the state police. They asked how I knew they were illegal. I said I asked. They said they will send someone out. Then a supervisor called me and said they would not send someone out. If they came the illegals would run and they would have to chase them. So they weren't coming. Go figure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
screw a 2x4 half on and half off the butting sheet and slip the sheet under the 2x then tack the end your holding up and and go down the sheet screwing the field. then pull the 2x4 and screw the sheet off, repeat, or get a buddy

·
Registered
143 Posts
this is coming from a guy who hangs thousands of sheets a year. I make a living hanging board I have not found a faster way to do it
ubcguy89 said:
screw a 2x4 half on and half off the butting sheet and slip the sheet under the 2x then tack the end your holding up and and go down the sheet screwing the field. then pull the 2x4 and screw the sheet off, repeat, or get a buddy

·
Registered
821 Posts
ubcguy89 said:
I wish I had heard of this technique when I was hanging drywall last year. Great idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts