The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lift for hunting stand?

A buddy gave me an old tow behind warehouse man lift (similar to a scissors lift) that is mounted on wheels and even has outriggers to stabilize it. The top platform is 36 by 48 with a railing around the platform. It would seem with three sides and a roof it could be a rather good stand. I could even move it from spot to spot between seasons. Sound like too much?

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Re: lift for hunting stand?

Buckmasters bought similar stands years ago for disabled hunters in Sussex County Delaware , from fund raisers in the area, they hod to be towed to the site..but they were well received......

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

Sounds like a neat thing to try if you have the right location and it's not top heavy in the wind. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts

Make sure the outriggers are stable every time you use it. With outriggers stable they can be wonderful vantage point.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts

Not to play devil's advocate, but is it legal in PA? Would that be considered hunting from a motorized vehicle?

Like Deer Archer said you must consider the stability of it where you set it up. Make sure that it won't sink into the ground which could cause it to tip over.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts

Make sure the batteries are good.If they are not it will be an expensive stand.You can't just plug it in out in the woods to charge them either.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This one is towable, but not motorized itself. It actually has a hand crank system to elevate it. (never saw one like it) A hay wagon, or towed blind is legal so long as it has been disconnected from the power vehicle. I set up a hay wagon blind for a handicapped hunter a few seasons, the regional office said as long as the tractor was disconnected.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts

Then use it.Manually powered that's a good thing.I would like to see how the hand crank system works as the lift rises.Can you post a pic of the machine?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts

I had a similar lift where I used to work, You had to crank the cage to the height and climb straight up the ladder that slides like an extension ladder, You could not crank it with a man in the cage,too heavy. The ratchet crank was noisy as all get out. If it works like that ,I see a few problems for someone with a disability using it as well as the noise

·
Registered
12,254 Posts

zimmerstutzen said:
This one is towable, but not motorized itself. It actually has a hand crank system to elevate it. (never saw one like it) A hay wagon, or towed blind is legal so long as it has been disconnected from the power vehicle. I set up a hay wagon blind for a handicapped hunter a few seasons, the regional office said as long as the tractor was disconnected.
OK in that case I would use it. Should work pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
2,485 Posts

Wald Jager said:
I had a similar lift where I used to work, You had to crank the cage to the height and climb straight up the ladder that slides like an extension ladder, You could not crank it with a man in the cage,too heavy. The ratchet crank was noisy as all get out. If it works like that ,I see a few problems for someone with a disability using it as well as the noise
Used them on jobs as well. Called them a skyjacker .

·
Registered
3,794 Posts

Samuel said:
Wald Jager said:
Used them on jobs as well. Called them a skyjacker .
That's the name, bright orange too. We had 4-5 of them and also used them to put transformers up on the cross beams in the shop because the fork lift wouldnnt reach that hi. Used the fork to put transformer on top of the cage with a custom made deck and it was all strapped down, cranked it up to the beams then a man in another skyjack walked the transformer in place and bolted it down. Probably not OSHA approved method but was as safe as we can make it. That was 20 years ago. Now at another job and have a 1 man Genie lift and rent a 2 man when needed,much easier and safer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts