The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a three pack. anyone use them? I have been hunting out of hang on stands lately. I see no need to use with a climber

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I use them on hang ons. Definitely feel safer with the life lines. Climbers, I use by full body harness up and down.

At 61 years young, still climbing, but starting to think about giving it up and hunting from the ground.

You just can't be to safe.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I got one on every stand, No reason or excuse not to use them, lifelines cost less than the stand, the ladder or steps or the vest so why not.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Buy em. You'll feel safer, and hunt better. Safe and silent climbing on hang-on's and ladder stands.

Mechanical failure can happen on climbers too. I personally know a guy who was using a hand climber (I won't mention the brand, but it's a popular one.). The pin on the top piece sheared. He was left hanging upside down, boots stuck in bottom piece until he managed to wiggle his feet out and fall 10 feet to the ground. Luckily okay. Lone Wolf makes a nice climbing tree strap for climbers. Quicker than the traditional types. Lone Wolf Rope

Your family will thank you. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Once my kids started hunting, we even use them on the ladderstands. Even though it is a ladderstand it is nice knowing they are tied off while climbing up.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I use the Hunter Safety System Lifelines and have been happy with them. I also have one that is like a retractable seatbelt thing that was expensive, but I don't care for it. I forget who makes it.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Something I've learned is to take the carabiner off the prussic knot and carry it out with you when you leave the stand.

Those biners are about $10/per and some people where I hunt have sticky fingers.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have a HSS lifeline for every lock on. Only time I don't use one is when I'm in my climber, and then I have a full body HSS, and then I'm locked in using the harness to the tree as I climb. No sense giving my retirement to my wife in the form of a death benefit.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Bates said:
Something I've learned is to take the carabiner off the prussic knot and carry it out with you when you leave the stand.

Those biners are about $10/per and some people where I hunt have sticky fingers.
I do the same but leave it hooked to the tether on my harness. I then clip it to my strap on my chest, so it is easy to clip when I get to the stand.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When my son started hunting. I got one for every stand. I can't believe that I didn't use one before. It is a very wise investment, you will never regret it.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
For one of my many jobs, I am up, down, and working from various ladders and scaffolding all day long.
I've never used a lifeline and have never seen anyone else in my trade use a lifeline to ascend or descend a ladder.

One of my jobs requires me to climb numerous vertical ladders to do maintenance checks on industrial diesel generators. This is in an extremely safety conscious industry. We are not required to have a harness on or use a lifeline.

I sometimes think treestand safety has gone the way of political correctness......just a bit overboard.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Safety is up to the hunter, it's not required, I ask for peoples thoughts of a product. I could care less who uses one or not.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
A member of this site fell 28 feet last week. I hope he shares it here at some point. Was in a neck brace. It's nice to see talk about safety.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I never ran a life line before. I mainly used ladder stands and two climbers. I do use a prusic knot on a safety line around a tree when I'm going up in a climber. But never in a ladder stand. I just put up my safety strap when I get up and clip in with my harness.

Now this year I got two hang ons with screw in steps, I have never hunted out of a hang on before. So I put up life lines with both of those stands. I went out to check on them and to do a test. It is so easy to use. It's a no brainier.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
saylor23 said:
Safety is up to the hunter, it's not required, I ask for peoples thoughts of a product. I could care less who uses one or not.
That's an interesting take on your question. I interpreted it as though you were asking if anyone uses a lifeline.
After all here is what you originally posted:

"I am thinking of buying a three pack. anyone use them? I have been hunting out of hang on stands lately. I see no need to use with a climber."

Let's break this down, shall we?
There are 4 sentences (half of which are grammatically incorrect) in your post: A statement, a question, a statement, and yet another statement.

You see, I guess I just got fixated on the actual question you posed, "anyone use them?".
In lieu of speculating that you wanted us to extrapolate on a specific product, I chose to answer the question rather straight forwardly.

The very essence of your question was, "Does anyone use lifelines?", and then you go on to say you don't care who uses them and who doesn't.

So alas, you were right. I would have been farther ahead just keeping my thoughts to myself.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
For one of my many jobs, I am up, down, and working from various ladders and scaffolding all day long.
I've never used a lifeline and have never seen anyone else in my trade use a lifeline to ascend or descend a ladder.

One of my jobs requires me to climb numerous vertical ladders to do maintenance checks on industrial diesel generators. This is in an extremely safety conscious industry. We are not required to have a harness on or use a lifeline.

I sometimes think treestand safety has gone the way of political correctness......just a bit overboard.
One mans opinion...

Comparing commercial-grade industrial ladders used in a controlled environment, leaned against a solid steel structure and returned to sheltered storage to the thin wall ladder sticks / ladder stands used and left out in all weather conditions and leaned against a tree is a bit incongruent.

And, IMHO, a $35 lifeline is the cheapest disability policy one can buy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts