The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LTCF expired and when I called the Chester County sheriff's department to renew, they told me there was a 37-week wait until I could apply, based on the glut of applicants. The officer told me they have approximately 4,500 applicants on the waiting list currently. The earliest they could get me in is the week of November 17th. Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
There are a few affirmative defenses for those who are eligible to hold a LTC and those who hold an expired (within 6 months) LTC...
I wouldn't worry about carrying even after it expires, especially given the current climate.... and then there's the whole "Judged by 12 > Carried by 6" axiom too....

I have about 6 months before mine expires.... guess I should make a call or two, but last time I checked (about 2 months ago) Doylestown was still doing them while you wait. No appointments needed.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Well, it turns out the Bucks Co Sheriff has been a busy bee (he's a good guy.)
They now have an online system for applications and renewals... a disclaimer that they're currently only processing for Bucks Co residents, though, due to a high volume of applicants...
The Quakertown permit office is also closed due to Covid, so the only pickup locations are Doylestown and Levittown.... 1st time applicants have to go to Doylestown to pickup... and those doing offline apps have to go in-person to Doylestown.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
As far as I know I don't think you need to use the sheriff that's in your resident county, think you can use any within the state.
I also think the check is the same check you go through when you buy a firearm, don't know why the renewal wait.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
As far as I know I don't think you need to use the sheriff that's in your resident county, think you can use any within the state.
I also think the check is the same check you go through when you buy a firearm, don't know why the renewal wait.
Several County Sheriffs are citing huge surges in applicants as reason for only accepting new applications and renewals from county residents..
Don't know if that's entirely legal, but it's what they're doing.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Interesting case of a similar nature that just occurred in Allegheny County(Pittsburgh)

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Just renewed mine recently in Bucks Co. Did the renewal on line and within a week was notified
of approval and had around 10 days to pick it up at the Sherriff's office in Doylestown.
Got there one morning when they opened and was in and out with license in hand in about 25 minutes.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Chester County is efficient, if you did not let it run out they will renew on the spot when you make the appointment to have it renewed. In and out a few months ago within a half hour. And to answer another posters answer, no you can not go to another county to renew, this is by design for the county sheriffs to issue to their residents.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just checked and you are right, Bucks County is only issuing to county residents. The same for Chester, Montgomery, and Lancaster. I don't see anything on Berks County's website that says only issuing to residents of the county.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chester County is efficient, if you did not let it run out they will renew on the spot when you make the appointment to have it renewed. In and out a few months ago within a half hour. And to answer another posters answer, no you can not go to another county to renew, this is by design for the county sheriffs to issue to their residents.
I think you're right. According to the PA state police website you have to apply in your county of residency in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I'm in Lackawanna county... my ltcf expires the end of the month (yes I know about the extension)...I recently called to renew...got a automated message that I had to pick up a form at the courthouse entrance...fill it out...place it in a sealed envelope...then in a locked box again at the courthouse entrance...then wait for a call for a appointment...what a PITA.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
You have to apply to the sheriffs office in the county in which you reside. You cannot just to to anyone you want.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
You have to apply to the sheriffs office in the county in which you reside. You cannot just to to anyone you want.
Steve, I know from past posts that you are more educated on this than I am, but my question is.
If that is the case how do people who live in other states end up with valid CCP from PA. I read somewhere that due to the ease of obtaining one from PA, compared to some other states, residents of those states were applying to PA for a license, when the two states recognize each other’s license.
Was this some more fake news?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve, I know from past posts that you are more educated on this than I am, but my question is.
If that is the case how do people who live in other states end up with valid CCP from PA. I read somewhere that due to the ease of obtaining one from PA, compared to some other states, residents of those states were applying to PA for a license, when the two states recognize each other’s license.
Was this some more fake news?
Non-residents can apply in any county, residents can only apply in the county in which they reside. At least that's what I took away from what I read.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts