The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, who prefers the new system and what advantage does it serve? I personally liked the back tags and still use the tag holders. I would guess to many people complained of the inconvenience in getting a hunting licence and it led to the new system to appease the masses. I have the tags of previous generations and plan to have the ones of my grandfathers framed this winter. Will make a nice display. Some tradition involved I suppose. Maybe some dont give it a second thought but it took a little out of the whole experience to me. What about you? Has anyone here ever had a metal tag? I feel like a bar code in a part of a data base now when I get my licence.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wish I was old enough to have a metal tag .............. some day someone will say "did you ever have a paper tag"

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
they are cheaper to process
no more printing contract pre orders,
overprinting waste or under printing headaches.

there real easy to get ,add stamps too and even replace if needed.
if it all put together lets the PGC buy 1 more acre, improve some habitat or hire another officer its a success.
and yea I still wear it on my back even though you don't have to anymore

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I prefer to keep mine in my wallet, don't have to worry about forgetting it when going from small game to archery or back...

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The old way was tolerable, but I prefer the new way. Never was fond of pinning the back tag to a tee shirt during warm weather outings for groundhogs.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I believe i still have a few doe tags from the 80s in the house. Cool idea on framing them to hang in the man cave.

New way better in regards to getting license, adding tags, etc. Displaying my license never really bugged so i still keep my license in a holder.I'm starting to use a money clip which has my hunting license and then i just slide my drivers license with it. I hate having my wallet in my pocket hunting, especially busting brush.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
I like displaying my hunting license on my back for the
Wardens to see from a distance, I will continue to display it, IMO this was not a good change to the Game laws.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
545 Posts
BlackStump said:
Just wondering, who prefers the new system and what advantage does it serve? I personally liked the back tags and still use the tag holders. ...
I always have a paper tag holder on the vest...often picking the paper tag for little more than the color or the year or the memory it delivers and regardless of the state I am in.

Always wondered if there was some archaic violation that a birdy warden might choose to enforce re displaying a hunting license from one state when hunting in another.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I still display mine most of the time but I have been
putting it in my pocket lately. It doesn't bother me
either way.

If the coat I am wearing has a place to hang it I will
display it. If not it goes in a pocket. I do think the new
licences are a pain in the but to write on compared to the
old ones.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
corey22 said:
I still display mine most of the time but I have been
putting it in my pocket lately. It doesn't bother me
either way.

If the coat I am wearing has a place to hang it I will
display it. If not it goes in a pocket. I do think the new
licences are a pain in the but to write on compared to the
old ones.
Yeah another reason I dont care for them come to think of it. They are goofey to write on. Trivial I suppose but just prefered the way it had always been. Suppose it is a cheaper way to produce them. I fortuneately never lost a back tag. I would and still do just bend down the metal tab on the pin to prevent it from popping open. Im sorta glad I had a family that never threw anything away. My Grandfather was born in 1923 but the earliest one I have is early 70's up thru the late 80's when he gave up the rabbit hunting. Will make a nice display.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I kept one of my old tags.The number is 2B and I live in 2B.Could not believe I got a number that low.I carry the new one in my wallet in my front pocket,it won't fall out walking or sitting and my back doesn't hurt from sitting on it driving or in a chair.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I carry my license in my wallet now. I still have my very first Pa. hunting license. It's from 1972 and I was 12 years old. I have it mounted in a picture frame. It was green but has really faded over the years though. I miss the paper back tags.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I carry mine in my holder that is in my pocket. Seems that I always had a issue with it catching on something...but I keep it in a holder to use the pin in the deers ear.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I still put my tags in my old holder. Sometimes it is pinned on my back and others it the holder is put in my backpack. With regular, archery, bear, muzzleloader, etc. my wallet would never fit in my pocket!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts