The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever notice how expensive the Marlin lever gun are now new? Also the Browning BLR too..However the Browning BLRs are sure a nice looking gun..
I truly enjoy hunting deer with a lever now...Got me a Marlin Model 336 35 Rem for $208.00...Thing shoots great..

Very seldom do you see the Browning BLR on the used gun rack for sale or even the Marlin 4570 or 450 Marlin.

Now if you were to get a Browning BLR would you use it for a tomato stake or to hunt?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I think the current uptick in Marlins is because they are closin their plant.Their parent Co. Cerebrus is shuttin it down and movin em to NY.Production will resume sometime in the future.When is anybody,s guess.It is really bad news for us Marlin lovers.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
For the prices some of the Marlins and Brownings are going for these days, you could get a real decent Savage 99 or maybe even a Winchester Model 88 on the used gun market..

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
moosehunter said:
The Browning BLR is a cool gun with a great feel to it.
Always wished they'd have made more with the pistol grip as opposed to the straight stock. They feel top heavy in the reciever, like they want to torque side to side...JM2C. I've shot a few of the brownings and nice guns, just felt weird to me. I've owned several winchesters and marlins and have to give my nod to the marlin. Still flirting with an xlr in 308 marlin express. Sold my 1895 in 45-70 and always regretted it. Still have a pre ww2 Savage 99 in 30-30. Great gun to take out when I feel nostalgic.

·
Registered
378 Posts
They feel top heavy in the reciever, like they want to torque side to side...
I never noticed it but you are right with this statement. I have a BLR in .257 Roberts. Mine is still a sweet little shooter though. I like lever guns too, I think they have a place in every gun cabinet. My nostaligic lever is a pre-war 99R in .300 Savage. And the one lever that gets the most use and is the most woods-battered is my .444S.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I hunt with Marlin 45-70 and a Winchester 88 and 1894 rifle in 30-30 all the time. They are in no way handicapped in the deer woods where I roam.

I have shot the BLR and Savage 99 and the BLR's are really nice - I just wish they were not made in Japan. Even with that I might buy a 308 lightweight someday. A hunting partner of mine has a .358 BLR and that thing is like instant death on any deer he hits with it - it is just bang - lights out. He has an Aimpoint red dot on top. I have also hunted with a guy with a Savage 99 in .300 Savage that I have seen take ALOT of deer with it. My Winchester 88 has always proven to be a geat gun/round for me.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I have a couple levers and have had others in the past. All of mine are Marlins. I like the BLR's though I've never shot one, only handled them in the shop. For the type of hunting I normally do they just flat out fit the bill. Anymore my deer hunting is in the thick stuff so shots are short range and fast....what lever guns were made for.

Don't fret the Japanese made stuff! They have good steel and quality craftsmanship. Also, they are a good US ally and to be honest they do produce some of the finest stuff in the world....firearms and optics are some of those things!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
JasonN said:
Don't fret the Japanese made stuff! They have good steel and quality craftsmanship. Also, they are a good US ally and to be honest they do produce some of the finest stuff in the world....firearms and optics are some of those things!
Just can't clean them using Rem oil - you need to use rice oil to clean them.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Andy1 said:
JasonN said:
Just can't clean them using Rem oil - you need to use rice oil to clean them.

I have the insatiable urge to eat sushi all of the sudden!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts