The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The scope on my .45/70 guide gun is a cheap, 1-4 compact busnell shotgun scope. It seems when I put it on 4X, stuff usually looks farther away. (I usuall only carry it for bear and leave it at 1X when I'm driving, although I would like to shoot a deer with it some day.) I was looking at the Leupold 1-4 compact scope and wondered if anyone has one. Likes? Dislikes? How well does it maginify at say, 100 yds? I have a leupold on my .270 and know and appreciate the quality. I just didn't want to drop a couple of hundred bucks if its not going to be much of an improvement.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I put a VX-1 2x7 on my guide gun and don't regret it at all.It looks good and has plenty of eye relief. To me its about as close to a perfect scope as you could put on it.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
You won't be disappointed in a Leupold. You will see a clear difference compared to your bushnell. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
IMO a Leupold VX I 1X4 is a perfect choice. It will be money well spent.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x on my guide gun and like it a lot. Made by Leupold with great optics for $140

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hunterdan199 said:
1x4 but i would def get the heavy duplex reticle. its the only scope i shoot leupold.
That's the one I was looking at. I like the Bushell's circle-X reticle. It gets on target real fast, especially on 1X. But, like I said earlier, whenever I turn up the magnification, it doesn't seem to magnify anything.

I think that heavy duplex would do the same thing as the circle-x, draw your eye immediately to the center of the scope.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I used one for 12 years on a slug gun. It now sits on my nephew's .243 Ruger compact. It's the type of scope you can always find a place for.

Will

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
This past summer I replaced my 25 year old Redfield 2x 7x 33mm on my .270 with a Leupold 3x9 VX-I 40mm.

Sweet scope that Leupold. Clarity, eye relief, brightness, etc. superb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts