The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have other leupold scopes but dont have any with the side focus parallax. midway has the vx-3i 30mm tube 4.5-14x50mm on sale for 499. was thinking about getting one for my vanguard in 6.5x300 weatherby mag. anyone have one of these scopes ? was looking for some input. i am not familiar with the side focus parallax. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,842 Posts
I have a VX-3i.I don't have parallax adjustment on mine though.What do you need to know?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a VX-3i.I don't have parallax adjustment on mine though.What do you need to know?
i just wasnt sure of its purpose. i did order the scope and its on its way. i have been a leupold fan for years though and figured it would be ok.

·
Super Moderator
4,842 Posts
When a scope has paralax adjustment you use the rear focus ring to make the crosshairs clear and use the parallax to make to make the target image clear at the distance you are shooting.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
i just wasnt sure of its purpose...
A scope that doesn't have side focus or adjustable objective (AO) comes factory preset to a certain distance, with Leupold centerfire scopes that has been 150yds. This means at 150yds the reticle appears pasted to the target, 2 dimensional like a TV screen, you can be standing centered lined up, or to the right, left, up, or down and the reticle doesn't move off the target. But now move the target out to 300yds and keep the reticle at 150yds, not adjustable. Now if you move your eye around it appears like the reticle is moving against the target, 3 dimensional. But physically nothing is changing between the bore, scope, and target alignment, only your eye perspective is changing. For your eye to match the physical setup it MUST be centered in the scope. A scope with parallax adjusted behaves like a red dot/reflex/holo sight. The eye may not be lined up to the optic but as long as the reticle is on the target that is where the bullet is going. They all put the reticle on plane with the target.

A scope with adjustable parallax allows you to mechanically paste the crosshair on the target at any distance so if your eye moves out of the scope center you are not putting the crosshair in the wrong spot when you pull the trigger. Could be important if you are holding in a weird position. Like laying prone in a ravine shooting up at a steep angle on a hillside, very difficult to get your eye correctly behind the scope. Without parallax adjustment if you are out of the preset distance it will "appear" like the crosshairs can move as you move your eye position, the reticle is not on the same plane as the target. I don't recall what models I have but most have either side parallax or adjustable objective, same function with both but 2 different mechanical means to achieve it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts