The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting one of these in 2-7x33mm for the T/C Encore I will be setting up in .338 Federal. It has a decent eye relief(3.8in).
Was wondering if anyone has one or has any advice on it.
All input is appreciated

Dave

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dave,

I have had a 1-4x VariX-II shotgun scope for almost 20 years. It was on my slug gun for 12 years, until rifles were legalized in my area of NY. It withstood around 300 rounds of 12 gauge sabot slugs during that time, and helped me shoot 15 or so deer.

The eye relief is great, never had an issue even when I tried Patition Gold slugs-much more kick than the .338 Fedral, I'm sure. The only complaint is that the heavy reticle does not allow precise bench shooting (not an issue on the shotgun, but I used it on a 7mm-08 one year when I was lacking for a scope-my groups were about 1/2" larger than usual.) Leupold will swap out the reticle for a standard duplex for $60-haven't decided whether or not to do that. I think the 2-7 will be a good fit for the .338.

PS-Thanks for the advice about Encore barrels-still have not decided between the Federal or a quarterbore.

Will

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Will for the info!!!
Hope your decision comes easy(I doudt it). These Encores are contagious!! LOL

Dave

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
these are great scopes for the money. I have the VX-I model on a Winchester 88, a T/C Omega, a Rem. 7600 carbine - all 2-7 powers.

My favorite size, weight, power for a woods scope.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andy
Do you have any issue with the heavy duplex??
Will said he finds the heavy duplex difficult on the bench.
Just wondering

Dave

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
All of my 2-7's have the regular duplex, they are the rifle scopes not the muzzleloader/shotgun ones. Although, I beleive the only thing different is where paralex is set for and the crosshair difference. I used the 1-4x20 VX-I with heavy duplex and liked it. These to me are hunting scopes not really target scopes used for shooting tiny groups in paper - I do agree - they are not the best set-up for target shooting. But for a hunting scope that is rugged, clear, and precise - these in my opinion are top notch.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy-----Thanks for the info,it is much appreciated!!

Dave

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have been using one since 1992 on this Win 1300. It has held up to many 3" turkey loads and slugs over the years without any issues. Love that Heavy Duplex reticle for low light conditions, and the huge eye relief as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts