The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote my congressional district the other day, the day after the events to be more specific, with a proposal that I thought he needed to look at when he got the time. I am curious as to what everyone on here thinks.

Here goes:
We have a Federal Air Marshall Program. Why is it that we do not have a Federal School Marshall Program? I know right off the bat that most are going to say we dont have the budget for such a thing. I agree with them.
I believe that these individuals should be either hand picked by the district, or volunteer and be confirmed by the district. Either course would require a closed doors meeting of the school board to help ensure the identity of said individual is not made public.
From there, the selected individuals would be sent through a government agency level training program (also ACT 120?) during the summer months. Also, each succesive semester would require a recertification on weapons proficiency. Skills tested would include (at the least); a safe handling/muzzle awareness section, weapons qualification, target discrimination (shoot/no shoot), carry/draw techniques and the proper corrective action to malfunctions.
These individuals would be permitted to carry the weapon during school hours and at any school function. They would be an entirely volunteer service.
Payment for the training, certification and arming for one or two individuals per school, per district would be handled by a tax increase, to be shared by the taxpayers of the district. Funding would be on an as needed basis and would vary(as such would the tax) by said yearly requirement.

Your thoughts? I see this is a fiscally responsible(that is the term nowadays, is it not?) answer to having to put a police officer with a yearly salary in each school. It is my conclusion though that in light of recent events this is the only way to begin to get a handle on what is happening in society today. Why not let our teachers stand up and protect themselves and the students that they teach? As I said in a facebook rant yesterday, these types of people attack soft targets for painfully obvious reasons. I believe it is time that we harden up and meet the threat with true deterance.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Sort of like the airline pilots that are armed.

If you recall there was a big hubbub about it after 9-11. In the end some pilots are now armed. They must certify. It is a volunteer program as well.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
I agree and want to add that the funds for protecting our homefront/schools could easily be available if we stop giving money to foreign countries, especially rich ones like Saudi Arabia and Egypt. It's time we start thinking of ourselves first

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Love the idea, but without tax increases.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
There will be liability insurance that is required - as well as the cost of training.

Easy - like the Castle Doctrine, remove the ability of lawsuits for a lawful use of the firearm. The law can be written to protect the school system and the school employees from lawsuits.

The cost of training should easily be able to be covered within a school budget. or perhaps the firearms industry could step up and cover some of the cost.

The 50 states state police could conduct the training cutting down on the travel and training facility training.

The cost of the weapon would be on the teacher as a personal firearm.

As an aside, the Eddie Eagle Program should be taught in every school in the country. Just as we teach our kids to swim and other self preservation topics, guns should be no different.

Heck when I was in grade school I recall a lesson plan about not playing with dynamite and blasting caps. That was over 40 years ago.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
gentleben said:
I agree and want to add that the funds for protecting our homefront/schools could easily be available if we stop giving money to foreign countries, especially rich ones like Saudi Arabia and Egypt. It's time we start thinking of ourselves first
Agreed 100%

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
GobbleBuck said:
I wrote my congressional district the other day, the day after the events to be more specific, with a proposal that I thought he needed to look at when he got the time. I am curious as to what everyone on here thinks.

Here goes:
We have a Federal Air Marshall Program. Why is it that we do not have a Federal School Marshall Program? I know right off the bat that most are going to say we dont have the budget for such a thing. I agree with them.
I believe that these individuals should be either hand picked by the district, or volunteer and be confirmed by the district. Either course would require a closed doors meeting of the school board to help ensure the identity of said individual is not made public.
From there, the selected individuals would be sent through a government agency level training program (also ACT 120?) during the summer months. Also, each succesive semester would require a recertification on weapons proficiency. Skills tested would include (at the least); a safe handling/muzzle awareness section, weapons qualification, target discrimination (shoot/no shoot), carry/draw techniques and the proper corrective action to malfunctions.
These individuals would be permitted to carry the weapon during school hours and at any school function. They would be an entirely volunteer service.
Payment for the training, certification and arming for one or two individuals per school, per district would be handled by a tax increase, to be shared by the taxpayers of the district. Funding would be on an as needed basis and would vary(as such would the tax) by said yearly requirement.

Your thoughts? I see this is a fiscally responsible(that is the term nowadays, is it not?) answer to having to put a police officer with a yearly salary in each school. It is my conclusion though that in light of recent events this is the only way to begin to get a handle on what is happening in society today. Why not let our teachers stand up and protect themselves and the students that they teach? As I said in a facebook rant yesterday, these types of people attack soft targets for painfully obvious reasons. I believe it is time that we harden up and meet the threat with true deterance.
Sounds like a good idea, but you know how all government levels work, they make everything complicated and it takes forever.
All areas of our country all falling apart, I sure hope someone wakes up soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you also suggest Movie Theater Federal Marshals, Church Service Federal Marshals, Fitness Center Federal Marshals, Shopping Center Federal Marshals, Work Place Federal Marshals? Mass shootings have recently occurred in all of the previously mentioned places. Perhaps it time to keep the guns out of the hands of unstable mass murders.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
It has to be multi leveled RB. Almost all here know that it wasn't the weapon but the person operating the weapon.

The thing is, society has deemed some places as gun free. For those unstable this translates to "easy" and safe for them.

So the question is, taking the sudden call for enhanced security at schools and the need to identify the unstable and remove gun access and availability - there has to be several parts to a solution.

All the while protecting the 2nd and our fundamental rights.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I do not see an increase of tax payers monies...we have many individuals that work within schools that could easily be certified...many of us are licensed to carry.....
It's like bringing drug dogs into schools...students are wising up and not bringing drugs in...
Let a given number of school employees carry, and I guarantee we'll have less people shooting up innocent children!

·
Registered
397 Posts
if the school i teach at had a program like yours id volunteer in a heart beat. good idea. gov will of course complicate and shoot it down

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Did you ever see mall and school security guards, or their pay scale? Most are on work release and couldn't spell their name without checking their name tags.

It would cost billons for government to implement a Marshall program before an on duty paycheck was even written.

There is no answer to end these tragedy's, the sooner we realize there will be sick people out there and the American sheeple aren't as protected from this evil world as they think they are, the safer they will be.

·
Registered
18,709 Posts
No more govt programs or agencies for me either. Maybe make teachers invest in their own retirements and increase their health insurance contributions to offset the school hiring a trained security force. All at no cost to taxpayers. Would solve two problems at once.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Not all school resource officers are bad...we, in fact, have one that's amazing. Problem is, we're a large district and he's only 1 person.
Have desired staff go through psychological screenings, and if pass, allow them to carry, just in case....criminals and such would think twice before attacking a school with armed staff members.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
In short - a gun free zone is seen by killers as a target rich environment.

Remove the gun free zone.

Easy enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts