The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, my wife went to get the mail and when she came back into the house she was carrying a letter, addressed to me from the Northampton Co. Sheriffs Office.
She asked me if there was anyhting I needed to tell her, and shocked I replied no. I opened the letter and was pleasntly surprised to see a Letter from our new county sheriff Randal Miller, explaining that my LTCF permitt will expire sooon and the proceedure to re-new / re apply. Also if I had any question I could call his office at the number on the bottom of the page.
Having had a LTCF for 20 years or so, I had never received a letter from the Sheriffs Dept before to make me aware that my LTCF was going to expire soon, I always had to try and remember when I needed to take a trip to the county courthouse. Although it was not a personal letter, I feel that this kind of reminder shows integrity, and I thought I would share it with the forum.
Roland

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I am sure if it was a letter that would have concerned your wife then no letter would have came but a personal visit by the sheriff or his deputies.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I get a reminder from Chested County whenever it's about time to renew. The Sheriff is a woman and so far I haven't had any issues. Tho I kind of wish I did. You know what I'am saying?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I got my renewable notice from Lancaster County sheriff's office last week 60 days in advance.

·
Registered
25,634 Posts
Our former county sheriff also sent out "renewal" letters well in advance of your LTCF's expiration. I hope his replacement does the same?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The PA Uniform Firearms Act requires (see code below) that a notice of renewal be sent; however, not all sheriffs adhere to the code.

§ 6109. Licenses.
(F)(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: Letter from the Northampton Co. Sheriffs Offic

All those tax dollars you send in eventually allow the county to upgrade from an abacas and paper/pen to a real computer, maybe even a MAC!!!!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

Acouple years back , I went to renew mine and they pointed out that I should probably get my drivers license renewed first....... lol Now THAT's what ya call service....Oooops !

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Roland, I got the same letter from the Warren County Sheriff's office as mine is due to expire in Feb.

I think it is a new procedure as I always had to remember too renew.

One change on my application this year...I use to just check "hunting and fishing" as the carry reason, this year I checked that and "self defense"...times they are a changing, and it is my RIGHT to change with them, so I will.

·
Registered
25,634 Posts
I mentioned some time ago, that an effort was made to make all county sheriffs conform to the same standards for issuing LTCFs, but really never went anywhere.

Last night on the local NBC affiliate's news (WGAL News 8), they mentioned that another effort is being made to rectify the problems with some sheriff's depts. not following the exact same procedures. We'll see how it goes this time.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I've never gotten a letter from either union or northumberland counties. I can understand not getting one from northumberland as they are still writing letters with coal on stones, but union?

·
Super Moderator
13,332 Posts

Washington County send out reminder notices also....

·
Registered
8,267 Posts

I do not recall a notice from ERIE. But I'm there the day it expires anyway.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

Montgomery County sends a notice as well.

One time when I went in to have it renewed the deputy was filling out the information--he on one side of the counter me on the other. Looking down at the form he asked--color of eyes, blue, color of hair, brown--with that he paused----looked up at my head for a moment----looked back down and said---so you wanna stay with brown hey?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts

could have been worse cat, with some folks he might have looked up and said, hair??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts