The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellows I think I am going to be able to get out on the porch tomorrow and shoot my new Flint Lock(50 caliber).

In the past I have always shot 90 or 100 grain loads of 3F in my flint lock rifles for deer hunting. However I honestly think I have been overdoing it a bit.

Now we all realize the best load is the most accurate load. So with that in mind. I am thinking about starting out at a 60 grain charge of 3F Black in my new flinter.

I don't think I will be giving up alot of performance over the 90 grain load?? What do you guys think about that??

I know I should have already been out shooting my rifle. But my main focus has been to get the youngin on his first squirrel. It took three trips to the woods, but I finally got him on one last night. Boy was he excited. I never realized how hard it was to get a youngin on a squirrel. I bet we saw 15. But I just could not get him on the squirrel for a good shot.

But honestly, WHO CARES. Man did we have a good time. And in the end he connected. So that made it all worth it!! Tom.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
100grn of FFFg is alot!
In my .54 cal I shoot 80grn FFg for PRB and 100grn FFg for Maxi-balls.

FFFg is supposed to produce more pressure so you use less.

I used to read start w/ the bore in grains so a 50 cal would start w/ 50grn & work up 5grn at a time until the accuracy suffers & then back off 5 grn.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I shoot 80gr of 3F in my .54 cal and 80gr of 2F in my .50 cal.
I used to shoot 90gr and tightened my groups significantly dropping to 80gr.
One thing is certain..........You will have a great time trying different loads out!!! LOL
Good Luck!!
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts