The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i do not. But the dimensions are 4'x4'x8'-6". No racks. Dry deer is hung from bacon hangers. Stix, sausage and bologna from 1/4" s.s. rods. Jerky is pierced with 3/16" s.s rods. I use a 15 gal expansion tank for the fire box. I will take more picks through out the seasons of each of my products for everyone enjoyment.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice smoker.....like to see the inside also. I'm thinking of driving my neighbors nuts and building one.....

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That was made by Brinkman and I got it at BassPro in Harrisburg.

However, I don't believe that Brinkman makes them any more. BassPro has one that appears to be a copy except being opposite hand made by Horizon.

When I bought mine BassPro was a couple of hundred dollars less than anyone else--and by picking it up at the store I avoided shipping charges.

I love the third chamber and use that all the time. It stays about 75 degrees less than the second chamber which I hold at 225-250 for barbecue. I have an excellent butcher and I will get whole hams and full slabs of bacon and put them in the third chamber--amazing results!

I have not yet done fish but want to--and that will allow me to do a lot more varieties of cheese since the temperatures are lower.

I can't use it in the winter because of thermal stratification---I did a 22 pound turkey for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and it was done on top but not on the bottom
I am thinking about adding insulation to the outside of the second chamber to correct that problem.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
heres my $50 new braunfels. this is one from when they were still made in texas, its heavy. i have upgraded my thermos to mavericks now

·
Registered
6,413 Posts

It will handle 48 burgers.Sorry no pics of burgers or the hogs I've done but have stuck a #280 in there.
Also made a pan/roaster to handle the #65(dressed)turkeys we used to raise.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Very nice guys---and I like the paint job 410-er

Bucket---how long did it take to do that pig?

It seems that would short circuit the heat at both ends---do you have any problems holding the same temperature in the center?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
A 100lb pig will take about 20 hours at 250 or so. I've done 3 so far and it has to be about the easiest thing in the world to cook...ranks up there with boiling water. I use an all wood fire which means you have to be there all the time. I can only go about 15 minutes without tending the fire.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Thank You.

I'm not surprised by your need to "manage" the fire like that. I stated out with one of those little R2D2 type sheet metal smokers and I felt like a slave to the darn thing.

The one I have now is 1/4" thick steel and that has a lot of thermal mass which makes maintaining a constant temperature far less demanding.

Something else you might want to try is using charcoal briquettes. I keep a bed of them under my wood. A twelve hour burn will take about 30 to 40# of briquettes. Depending on ambient temperature I can go for an hour or more without tending the fire.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Skinner, you nailed the main problem...thin metal. I like the barrels, it was very cheap to build and I don't feel guilty about it sitting around and only use it a couple times a year, but the next one I build will be made out of a lot heavier material.

I tried the briquettes, but I had trouble with the ashes snuffing out the wood. I'm sure with a little practice it would make it a lot easier to use. Although, I really like the flavor you get with an all wood fire. My fridge is a gas cooker and you can taste a difference.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts