The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a conversation with the editor of North American Whitetail Magazine shortly after the buck was supposedly killed, and he unequivocally said it was a fake. I also co-hosted an outdoor radio show for two years with Michigan's Mike Avery (the state where the buck was supposedly killed) and he had previously interviewed Mitch and swore the buck was legit. That interview can still be found on YouTube. It doesn't add up to me and I believe its fake, but regardless he did kill the big bodied buck somewhere before attaching the rack.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The length of those arrows are as long as that "bucks" body. Just hold your fingers up to the pic. It's about as real as this bridge I'm trying to sell. BTW...if you have gift cards I can give you a GREAT deal!!!>:)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't believe it either and I'm very familiar with it. The measurers were never allowed to inspect the skull plate. I'm not a big fan of bashing other hunters or making accusations without facts, but there's enough information about this story that it just doesn't pass the smell test. For the record I've never met Mitch Rompolla but know many people who have and this is some of their opinions about the buck.

The buck is very real but the antler bases are farther apart than any other whitetail ever measured. Even other previous world records all measured nearly the same at the bases.

They believe the deer was lying on its right side when the back of the cape and cartilage were split to remove the original antlers, and that's what caused the blood to pool in the right ear.

Since the cartilage had to be split to swap out the rack it causes the right ear and eye to droop more because it couldn't be pulled up tight enough and sewn in its original position.

Claims to be a hunting recluse who shy's away from the public spotlight, but up until this buck he was being featured in magazines and videos.

Wouldn't have the buck x-rayed when offered $10,000 to do it.

Again, these are not my opinions but others who know him, or have seen the buck. My question for all bowhunters on HPA is...have you ever shot a deer and had its ear get saturated with blood? I wasn't certain so I went back through every animal I ever bow killed that I had field pictures of and not one of them had a bloody ear. Maybe it happens, I really don't know, does anyone have a picture of a deer they killed with a bow that had that much blood in its ear?

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
.. The buck is very real but the antler bases are farther apart than any other whitetail ever measured. Even other previous world records all measured nearly the same at the bases.
Yep. I've had every issue of North American Whitetail since it's inception, as well as numerous books that document every major trophy whitetail buck in history, and have seen thousands of bucks either in person or in print, and I've NEVER seen another buck who's antlers are situated that way on it's skull.

.. Claims to be a hunting recluse who shy's away from the public spotlight, but up until this buck he was being featured in magazines and videos.
If Rompolla was the "recluse" as claimed, he would not have been an official measurer for two organizations, nor would he ever bothered to have this buck measured, he would have just accepted his own measurements.

.. Wouldn't have the buck x-rayed when offered $10,000 to do it.
Especially since if it were to have been legit and declared the world record it would have been worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to him.

TBrom, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recollect, one of the excuses his supporters claimed for his reason for withdrawing the rack was supposedly that the Hanson faction was threatening to sue him for loss of revenue if he persisted. That is ridiculous on it's face because if the Rompolla buck were legit and officially declared the world record, the Hanson faction would have had no case.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I saw a video at some time ago, I'm sure its on youtube somewhere. Anyways it was actual footage of him recovering the buck. Yes it very well could have been staged, but it sure didn't look like it from what I saw. Now with that said, there are just so many factors involved that make this seem to be a fraud it just seems it has to be. I really do want to believe it to be legit. And I have a buddy that is from that part of Michigan and he swears it is legit. It may be one of those we always wonder about.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TBrom, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recollect, one of the excuses his supporters claimed for his reason for withdrawing the rack was supposedly that the Hanson faction was threatening to sue him for loss of revenue if he persisted. That is ridiculous on it's face because if the Rompolla buck were legit and officially declared the world record, the Hanson faction would have had no case.
Yes. That's correct, loridr. Hanson filed a cease & desist order against him to stop "claiming" it was the world record unless he would have it verified and entered into Boone & Crockett as such. Rompolla declined to have it verified. It was around the same time that Craig Collderone who operates the Michigan Whitetail Hall of Fame offered Rompolla the $10,000 to have the head x-rayed.

I think Mitch is probably a pretty decent hunter but not sure about his scruples? He may have done a test run on the state level with one of his bucks as well. One of his Michigan state records "supposedly" has been called into question because of the width of its bases. Racks aren't x-rayed (and drilled) on the state level like they are on the national level.

I would still like to hear from other bowhunters about the blood in the ear theory. Does anyone have field picture of a bow killed deer with a bloody ear?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts