The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never seen a build-along on HPa, so we're gonna try and rectify that now!!!

I have made these for folks to auction off, guys retiring and just sometimes I barter for "stuff". I dont nor will I ever sell these. I traded some great big gobbler wings for this shaft. Some folks make them differently, this is just my way. Here you may get a basic idea of what it takes to make your own arrows.

This year I'm planning on hunting with ALL primitive, homemade equipment. If all goes well mebbe we will do a selfbow build-along too!

I have used river cane for shafts and also Martha Stewart(Walmart) tomato stakes which are an asian bamboo, very similar but thicker in the walls, to american river cane shafts.

This time I will be trying a several firsts for this arrow. I will be using a head made from antler, the shaft will be viburnum, and I'll be using hardwood ash and excessive heat to create the color on this arrow.

Soooooo what are we waitin for???

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I can get the pics up without much trouble

I had these viburnum shafts laying in the garage rafters. I dont remember when these were cut tho.
Multi flora rose and dogwood are quite popular to use, and multi-flora makes very pretty shafts.

ok lets try the pic

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Notice the heavy ends of the shafts are staggered in the bundle, some on the right and some on the left creating a mostlt parallel bundle. Wrapped with a bike innertube and set aside to dry. Sorry but some of the pics were taken with an older cam but you'll get the picture

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the shaft with bark removed. I used a sharp pc. of obsidian flint rock and a folding knife to remove the bark.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here using a heat gun and a propane torch to straighten the shaft. Heat can also add some artistic delights and characteristics as well, as you'll see!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now to the business end
I've mounted flint heads, shaped the point to a blunt and used my dogs soup bone to make the business ends but this time I'm gonna use an antler for the tip

Here we go:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shaped using sand paper, file and a tap or 2 on a belt sander. The antler finishes quite easily, softer than beef bone but unexpectedly sharp! I was pleasantly surprised and will not hesitate to use again, AND hunt with!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cut 2 notches in the edges for attachment purposes. This head has a straight tang- so to speak.

I notched the larger end of the shaft using a small file and saw blade. I will attach the head using deer sinew taken from the backstrap of a whitetail.

Air dried after removal and then beaten with a round rock or percussion of some sort breaks the sinew down to small threads. Back strap sinew is finer than that from the legs.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A cup of warm water, hide glue made from a whitetail hide and sinew. I'll mix the hide glue crystals into the warm water for a good sizing of the notch of the arrow. This will give us a better, stickier surface for the wet sinew to adhere to. Then we dip and soften the sinew for the wrap of the head.

And the dip of the tip

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While the head dries time to cut some feathers. I'll be using 2 feathers donated by an older gobbler and the barring is beautiful!! I'll cut with a knife down the quill to seperate the feather from it's home

seperating the feather

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm coloring the back end of the shaft with hardwood ash from the fireplace
I also plan on burning the shaft dark with excess heat. To do so however, I rub a mixture of grease and wax onto a warmed shaft so to aid the wood in soaking up the mixture. I'm using bees wax and beaver grease... ok get over it
It will also make it a bit weather proofed. I just apply it with my fingers after heating with a heat gun.

You may notice the small notch for a string nock at the end of the shaft, with a circular notch where string will be applied to aid in drawing of the arrow.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok some final straightening sealing is done and now I like to burnish the shaft with deer bone. This will close the wood and create a fine satiny finish.

It's ready for guidance systems!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts