The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started putting my cams out last weekend. New this year is cable locks for every single one of them. Hopefully this breaks my 1 stolen cam a year average.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I started putting my cams out last weekend. New this year is cable locks for every single one of them. Hopefully this breaks my 1 stolen cam a year average.
Good luck, i know guys who put cable locks on theirs only to have them stolen and this was way in the mountain. I am convinced some thieves carry bolt cutters. knock on wood i have not had any stolen. This year i have to resort to public/state games lands as the property i had access to is being sold. I will do my best to camouflage and hide them the best i can and hope for the best

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Only ever had one camera stolen and it was python locked to a tree over a mile from the nearest road. Locks only keep honest people honest...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Whenever I put my trail cams on public property or a place I would expect them to be seen I place them 7-10 feet off the ground and angled down. It's out of the normal line of sight and I consistently get pictures of other people walking by or under my cameras. It's not fool proof but they can't steal it if they can't see it.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Whenever I put my trail cams on public property or a place I would expect them to be seen I place them 7-10 feet off the ground and angled down. It's out of the normal line of sight and I consistently get pictures of other people walking by or under my cameras. It's not fool proof but they can't steal it if they can't see it.

This is the best advice. Python locks and bear boxes only work for bears not people.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lost the key to one of my own python locks last year and cut it with a hatchet. I also tried the camera in the tree trick, the dang bear climbed the tree and still messed it up.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have 2 out by my house, but 4 more will go out on the game lands in August, pull them in early September, just see what is passing through.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
I put mine out and zero in on promising spots and leave then until gun season and maybe a couple in key spots during gun season then until the snow comes when I can find tracts in the snow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts