The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T/C Encore with .300 win Mag BBL, Bushnel Trophy scope 3-9 X 40 MM thumbhole stock.

The plan is to use this combo for deer/bear in ME and PA. I can't wait to get the stocks in the mail I should have it all put together by Friday.

What kind of ammo would ya use? Most shot are 100 yards and under. (few corn field stands in PA where I could reach out a bit more... I don't want to chage ammo from deer to bear.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
180gr nosler partiton, or accubond. You don't need those for deer, but they're great for bear, and will perform nicely on deer. If you don't want to go that heavy, use 165's in the same bullets.

·
Registered
555 Posts
kozman4907 said:
What would be maxx effective range for the 165 accubond?
Not trying to be smart, but if you're asking that question, it's effective a lot farther than you should be shooting.

I'd choose a 180 or 200 out of the .300. With the lighter bullets, I personally would choose a premium bullet like the Accubond, even for deer. It's just a little less messy than a cup and core at high velocity.

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Why someone would use something that big for deer is beyond me.

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
Moss said:
Why does it matter?

I just bought a 300H&H because I think it's a neat old round. Guess I shouldn't hunt deer with it?

To the OP....I agree with Borden.....a 180gr Nosler Partition or Nosler Accubond should be a good bet. I would maybe lean a hair toward the Partition, as it'll expand a bit more rapidly. I use a 180gr Partition in a 300WSM. Just got it last year and only shot one deer with it, but I really liked the Partition's performance. Compared to what I've seen from "harder" bullets like the Hornady GMX or the Nosler Accubond, the Partition seems to make a bit bigger wound channel. Just my non-scientific impression.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Moss said:
Well, why someone would get the broken tine fixed on a deer they had mounted is beyond me, eh?

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Borden811 said:
Moss said:
Well, why someone would get the broken tine fixed on a deer they had mounted is beyond me, eh?
At least I didn't kill it with a cannon

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Probably wouldn't have ran around after the shot and broke that point if you would have anchored it with a real gun

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Borden811 said:
Probably wouldn't have ran around after the shot and broke that point if you would have anchored it with a real gun
I'll have you know that buck dropped with the first shot, running, and never got back up hahahahahaha

·
Registered
282 Posts
Congrats on your new baby. I have been using a 308 Norma Mag. since 1971? For Deer or Bear the 180 of your choice might be the best all round bullet weight for your caliber at the range you plan to hunt. Anything less would be a mess at 100 yds. and beyond. If you handload you could try the Hornady 180 gr. spire point to start with. I have used 180's in Hornady, Nosler BT, Sierra spire pt. w/bt. All will work just pick the accurate one. I needed a new barrel and that was replaced in 2006. Decided to try the Sierra 165's Game King for Deer. I hunt fields so the range is beyond normal. Works very well out of my rifle.
Then before Deer season find a farm with Groundhogs and wring it out, its my fun gun.
Be safe
bs

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
TDD for your information the accubond is not a tougher or harder bullet then the partition it is the other way around...The partition has been time tested for nearly a century on everything from elephants down..Many Alaskans are still living today after dealing with a grizzly armed with partitions...

·
Registered
555 Posts
burk313 said:
TDD for your information the accubond is not a tougher or harder bullet then the partition it is the other way around.
I don't believe that is accurate. I think that at high impact velocities their "toughness" is very nearly identical. As velocities drop, the Partition should expand and shed weight better (bigger wound channel) because of it standard construction. The rear partitioned section will stay intact, but the front will open up just like regular old cup and core bullet. The Accubond is bonded for its entire length and will not expand/fragment as much at lower velocities. I know Nosler suggests a minimum impact velocity for the Accubond. I don't believe that is the case with the Partition.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
FWIW, I would choose the Partition over the AccBond any day.

I have read GOBS of internet accounts testifying to the performance of the AccuBond. But the only two REAL LIFE experiences I have first or second-hand knowledge of left the AccuBond looking awfully suspect. One case was of non-expansion (on a whitetail) and the other a case of "splat" expansion (on an Idaho elk).

I don't trust the AccuBonds. Partitions have stood the test of a considerable amount of time. That would be my pick of the two.

·
Super Moderator
7,817 Posts
burk...

ROVERT gave the response I would have. The front segment of the Partition is setup no different than a cup/core bullet. The "partition" is what makes it different. It will have a shank that penetrates deeply while the nose will expand pretty freely. Kind of the best of both worlds, so to speak.

I sure was not maligning the performance of the Parition. I use them in my 300WSM, and while I want to try the Accubond in my 300H&H, I may well wind up shooting a Partition in that, too.

Strut, I have killed all of 2 whitetails with the Accubond, and that was a 110gr from a 257 Roberts doing 2800+ (maybe 2900, haven't chrono'ed them yet) at the muzzle. First deer was shot at 65-75 yards, hard quartering away angle....the bullet entered through her right tenderloin region and exited at the back edge of the left shoulder. Left about a nickel-sized exit hole and a quarter-sized wound channel through the lungs that was easy to see when I dressed her out. She fell, got up, fell, and when I was about to shoot again, she laid still.

The second was a big doe at 160-170 yards. Shot her broadside and clipped off the top of the heart. She was knocked down and then weakly ran 35-40 yards before piling up. Another nickel- to quarter-sized exit hole.

So far, I'm real happy with them. My concern will be that they are going to be fairly stout...and with close up shots, they should rock....get out to 200-300 yards on deer, and I will get a little iffy. Just like the GMX I'm shooting in my '06. Great up close, not sure what it'll do out at some distance. Won't know till I shoot a deer out a bit and we see what it does!

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I am mot much of a fan of partitions or accubonds any longer. But when I was shooting them, the tecs at the Nosler plant told me that shooting them side by side in their testing, the accubonds consistently retained 3-5% more bullet weight and were more accurate.
Doesn't really matter to me. Shoot what you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts