·
Super Moderator
26,973 Posts
Which type of casings are they? Natural, collagen, etc

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were the natural, and in salt. Very difficult to use, even after soaking, rinsing, did everything to get them to work. I got so frustrated with them I ended up packing the meat in 1lb packs and food saving it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
remy120777 said:
They were the natural, and in salt. Very difficult to use, even after soaking, rinsing, did everything to get them to work. I got so frustrated with them I ended up packing the meat in 1lb packs and food saving it.
Did you Flush them then let them soak some more?

What is going on that your having problems with them?

From what all youve posted, this could be a back and forth deal with everyone before we hit on something your doing wrong or not doing at all!

How about give us steps in what you did and how you tried to place them on the stuffing horn!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Some problems i have had in the past with salted casings were.
1 - pulling the casings apart before i had soaked them for an hour or so. This placed small holes which inturn formed large holes when i tried to apply pressure to fully stuff the casings.

2 - After washing equipment i did not notice a small burr on the end of my stuffing horn which was placing small slices in the casing while placing them on the horn.

3 - The horn becomes dry while stuffing and the casing hang up and tear.

If you are near PG i can help you out. I have everything you need.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Soaked them in warm water for 30 minutes.
2. Ran them under warm water and rinsed them for a while.
3. Opened the casing and ran water through the casing.
4. Had trouble putting them on the stuffing horn, put butter on it and still had trouble.
5. Got frustrated and threw them all in the trash and food saved meat I. 1lb packs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have worked with unsalted casing in the past and had a heck of a lot easier time with them. I guess I will go back to the old casings I used to use.

·
Super Moderator
26,973 Posts
I've never used LEM, and it sounds like you know what you're doing. Maybe just a bad batch?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Those salted casings are junk. Ive had same trouble before plus they are almost rubbery uneatable when cooked. I know go the local meat markets and get what they use. Its usually in a liquid salt brine and enough to stuff 100#.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have never used LEM casings, I've always bought them from The Sausage Maker.

To really get the salted casings to work, you need to let remove as much salt as possible when you soak them in water, and let them sit a few days before you try using them. Also flush water through the casing, and squeeze out as much water as possible before placing them on the stuffing tube.

·
Super Moderator
26,973 Posts
Also, keep them wet as you put them on the tube.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
BcozHunter said:
Also, keep them wet as you put them on the tube.
The Biggy I found to work Wonders!!

Also, when a casing will not go on the stuffing horn, I blow some air into the casing to inflate it, then run it on the horn, seems to help get it to go on easier.

I keep the casings in a bowl of water, pull an end out, get it opened and on the horn and start pushing the remainder onto the horn, pulling it straight out of the bowl of water straight onto the horn!

Found if you keep them wet, they work easier.

Also, as said, if you soak them for a day or 2, they rehydrate and work better then just soaking them for an hour and flushing and trying to use!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I just used the same product this weekend and worked great. i soaked the 24 hours, changed water a few times and rinsed with fresh water before using. went on great and stuffed good.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I picked up a pack of LEMs casings at Gander Mountain on Monday to see what was up with them.

I soaked them in warm water like I always do to the casings I get from the Sausage Maker, for 45 minutes then flushed with cold water real good and then back into warm water for another 30 minutes.

LEMs Casings seem to be Thicker then all other Hog Casings I have used over the years!

I'm thinking they do not clean them as good as other companies!!

They seem Thicker and do have a Rubbery feel to them and are a little hard to get the opening to come open to flush them!

I did not have any problems getting them on the stuffing horn for the stuffer, I did like I always do, keep the casings in the water as I stick the casing on the horn and push all of it on the horn, I pull it out of the soak Water...helps get the casing to go on a little easier I have found!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts