The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PA needs to legalize semi automatics for hunting! The AR based semis are becming a huge part of hunting in other states. I have a DPMS LR-308 which I'd love to hunt with. Why isn't it allowed? West Virginia and Maryland(Maryland??? for pete's sake!)allow them to be used. I have not heard of any issues with their use. But every year my cousin has to borrow a rifle to hunt with me, his Browning .270 must be too dangerous.
Don't give me the too fast spraying lead crap, I can pump rounds out of a 760 faster than a semi can shoot.
I know a whole bunch of shooters who use AR's, and have no interest in hunting, but make their rifles legal and some of them will pick up the sport.
If we want to grow in numbers we need to change.
PS Jim Zumbo does not need to reply!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Careless shooting comes to mind! People who think they are in a rambo movie and just firing shots off at running game. Unrecovered deer and a higher chance of shooting someone with careless shooting! If you can't kill a deer with the rifles and optics legal today you shouldn't be huntin! I have no problem with semi-autos being owned and enjoyed, but don't see why you need them to hunt! JMO!

·
Registered
25,821 Posts
Unless someone can cite stats from those many states where they've long been legal, to support some of these opposing comments, then it's a serious question that demands serious consideration...not more outlandish remarks and expressions of a bias.

BTW, there already is a poll/discussion on this down in Firearms and it's not the first time.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
We all have our favorite weapons. If a person does not want to hunt a certin season or hunt at all because they cant use the weapon they enjoy thats their problem. I am tired of hearing we will have more hunters if you let them use their weapon of choice. Semi automatics should be used for target practice only.

·
Registered
652 Posts
DennyF said:
Unless someone can cite stats from those many states where they've long been legal, to support some of these opposing comments, then it's a serious question that demands serious consideration...not more outlandish remarks and expressions of a bias.

BTW, there already is a poll/discussion on this down in Firearms and it's not the first time.
JMO! JUST MY OPINION! not an outlandish remark or expression of bias! OPINION!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Careless shooting???

Semi-autos for target only???

Simple opinions based on unsubstantiated fears.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
old greybeard said:
Do you have a particular reason they should be banned? We need a poll

We have a poll. I started it. Just mosey on over to the firearms forum and you'll see we've been debating this very issue for the last week or more.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Denny, didn't realize there was already a thread on it. This one can be closed if nessecary.
Following some of the logic against semi's maybe we should ban the use of anything but single shots, or make it illegal to have more than one round in any rifle, semi, pump or anything.
The closed mindedness of PA hunters continues to amaze me!

·
Registered
652 Posts
old greybeard said:
Sorry Denny, didn't realize there was already a thread on it. This one can be closed if nessecary.
Following some of the logic against semi's maybe we should ban the use of anything but single shots, or make it illegal to have more than one round in any rifle, semi, pump or anything.
Maybe we should legalize hand grenades and mortar rounds to so that those who can't hunt with a legal weapon can kill something! What the heck lets just make tanks legal so some don't even have to get out in the rain! I've been in the woods in semi auto areas, and seen how people act with them when a group of deer are running by!

·
Registered
25,821 Posts
JMO! JUST MY OPINION! not an outlandish remark or expression of bias! OPINION!
Opinions do not typically just form out of thin air and pop into our heads.

They are generally based on some personal experiences or inputs from others, that tend to shape them.

Or worse, manifest themselves from a particular bias one already has towards whatever the issue at hand is and have little basis in fact?

PS: Or, they really are outlandish and devoid of a connection to the issue...like the grenades and mortar commentary? Thanks for reinforcin' my initial comment and using some of the same rhetoric that the Brady Campaign has used in its attempts at banning semis.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WhitetailFanatic said:
old greybeard said:
Maybe we should legalize hand grenades and mortar rounds to so that those who can't hunt with a legal weapon can kill something! What the heck lets just make tanks legal so some don't even have to get out in the rain! I've been in the woods in semi auto areas, and seen how people act with them when a group of deer are running by!
Nice. You send much money the the Brady Foundation?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I say let's free the autoloaders. This is the 21st century. Almost every other state allows them. Why are we the ones who can't hunt with one and can't hunt on Sunday?

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
I simply think that it portrays hunters negatively in the eyes of the public. Case in point. I had my soon to be seven year old at Gander mountain and we were looking at the firearms and came to where several semi auto AR- 15 (correct id?) were on the wall and he stated "they sell army guns here. I did explain to him while they looked like soldiers guns that they were used for hunting and target shooting by many hunters and sportsman, but it comes down to perception. It has more negative impact when the general public sees one in the hands of a sportsman's coming out of the woods to his/her vehicle than postive, not with all but with some. My view on hunting as a whole is that it needs to be viewed as and utilized as a management tool to ultimately survive and going forward our rights as hunters are going to be challenged time after time. I think overall weapons that look like "army guns" will not aid our arguement. So it's not a practical arguement, but one of perception. When your in the majority how your group is percieved does not matter, when your in the minority perception, unfortunately matters more. Don't begrudge anyone from having one, and no I don't think they should be banned from private ownership but when it comes to hunting I think there are better choices.
Keystonepaul

·
Registered
652 Posts
No! i don't support the brady bunch! I do feel bad that you and denny couldn't see the sarcasm in my last post! Maybe its the closed mindedness coming out! I'm done with this discussion!

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Keystonepaul said:
I simply think that it portrays hunters negatively in the eyes of the public. Case in point. I had my soon to be seven year old at Gander mountain and we were looking at the firearms and came to where several semi auto AR- 15 (correct id?) were on the wall and he stated "they sell army guns here. I did explain to him while they looked like soldiers guns that they were used for hunting and target shooting by many hunters and sportsman, but it comes down to perception. It has more negative impact when the general public sees one in the hands of a sportsman's coming out of the woods to his/her vehicle than postive, not with all but with some. My view on hunting as a whole is that it needs to be viewed as and utilized as a management tool to ultimately survive and going forward our rights as hunters are going to be challenged time after time. I think overall weapons that look like "army guns" will not aid our arguement. So it's not a practical arguement, but one of perception. When your in the majority how your group is percieved does not matter, when your in the minority perception, unfortunately matters more. Don't begrudge anyone from having one, and no I don't think they should be banned from private ownership but when it comes to hunting I think there are better choices.
Keystonepaul

You don't want hunters mimicing soldiers. I get that. What about Remington 7400's, Browning BAR's, and Benelli R1's. Are you OK with sharing the woods with them?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts