The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .44 mag. Revolver I'd like to take deer hunting but it is not registered. When I bought it in the 70's registration was not required. Can I legally hunt with it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
take the revolver to a gun shop and they can register it for you. might cost you to register it but better safe then sorry. then go to your county treasure and get a hunting permit.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
take the revolver to a gun shop and they can register it for you. might cost you to register it but better safe then sorry. then go to your county treasure and get a hunting permit.
First, there is no federal "registration" requirement of a handgun, and no "supposed" listings maintained on them. Also, there is no requirement for approval to possess a handgun that You purchased or acquired legally without approval. Examples would be receiving a handgun from an immediate family members estate or will, or even a FTF transaction, within the Commonwealth, for a long gun.

Submitting an ATF Form 4473, when purchasing a firearm, is only to determine if You are allowed, by law, to possess a handgun or long gun. If legally purchased or acquired without needing to submit for a background check, then the only reason it is suggested to "register" a weapon (whatever that means), is so the Libs/Leftists know where it is, right Slim? What does "better safe than sorry" even mean Slim?

All I would suggest You do, is submit to Your County Sheriff for a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF), instead of a Sportsman's Permit, which is not necessarily a "Hunting Permit". The LTCF allows You to carry one, open or concealed, loaded or not, wherever allowed within the Commonwealth, excluding the City of Philadelphia. A Sportsman's Permit does not allow loaded carry unless in the act of hunting or at a shooting range or facility.

Nothing in that ATF Form 4473 process has anything to do with the registration of the handgun. The corresponding PSP form filled out in conjunction with the 4473, being a form of registration is a "rumor", and left for a later discussion. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
when i lived in Arizona for a while i bought a revolver. when i came back to Pa. i had to register the gun in Pa. all i did was take it to a gun dealer and he held it until the registration was complete. then i went to the county treasure and got a hunting permit. the 4473 is used to make sure you are a citizen of the state you are buying the gun and are allowed to own a gun. i have filled out many of these when i worked in sales at a gun shop. with the new background check system he could have it done the same day. remember handguns are treated differently then rifles. Bbutz stated that back in the 70's when he bought the gun they didnt have registration. seems to me that there was a three day waiting period when purchasing a handgun. that was for state police checks back then. unless he bought it from a private buyer and didnt register it he should look into that. like i said better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is this a hunting question? If so then I believe the answer is yes, you can carry that as your hunting firearm.

Is this a concealed carry/open carry question and you want to take this in ADDITION to your hunting firearm? Then you "may" need the sportsman permit or concealed carry permit if it is not open and in your hands/on your side and visible..

The gray area may be that you can open carry in PA, but some wardens may want the permit in either case

"You do not need a license to carry a handgun OC if it is legal handgun for the season you are hunting.
Only one not legal for the season.

As for CC, there is an exception for for CC in 18Pa.C.S.6106(B)(9) and (c) for those holding a "sportsmans permit"
So you can not CC while hunting, even a handgun legal for the season, unless you have LTCF or "sportsmans permit".
So to CC a handgun while hunting you need a sportsmans permit OR LTCF if the handgun is legal for the season and you need an LTCF (no sportsmans permit) if the handgun is NOT legal to hunt with that season."

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Do I have to register my firearms in Pennsylvania?

No, in fact in Pennsylvania it is actually illegal for any government or police agency to keep a registry of firearms per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms). If you legally possess bring your firearms into the Pennsylvania or come into possession of the firearms legally, no further action is required.

It should be noted however that all transfers of handguns in Pennsylvania are required to go through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) and as such the Pennsylvania State Police keep a "Sales Database" of all handguns purchased within the Commonwealth. While almost any casual observer can see that this database clearly violates the spirit of 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms), in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court agreed with the Pennsylvania State Police that because the database is not a complete record of all handgun ownership (as people bringing handguns into the state do not have to register them), it does not.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
like most have said - there is no "registration" of firearms (short or long) in the state of PA - unless they are NFA firearms like:

- Short barreled rifles
- Sawed off shot-guns
- capable of full auto fire

Which require a federal tax stamp to possess.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
I should have mentioned I do have a license to carry permit so I should be fine. Appreciate the information.
You will be fine!! Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts