The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation. A hunter is investigated for hunting over bait. The WCO tells said hunter that he is investigating someone on adjoining land but bait ended up on the land said hunter was hunting. Said hunter cooperates with investigation and gets call from WCO telling him that he believes his story and no charges will be filed against him. However he has to turn over his venison to WCO as soon as he gets it back from the butcher shop. If there are no charges can he confiscate the guys meat? The deer was shot on the land that bait had spilled over on but WCO said that he did not believe the shooter knew it was there so that is why he said he was not filing charges.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't believe that for a second, there is more to the story than you were told.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'm gonna take a wild guess here Lou....and just say that your buddy was busted for hunting over bait.

I don't know if you lose your license for a period if your found guilty of that. But, maybe he wont' be hunting next year.....'cause he's got a bad knee?

Dave

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No that is the story no one was busted. He was told on the phone that there would be no charges filed against him but that he would have to turn over the meat. He cooperated fully with the WCO and gave him information about the neighbors who they were really investigating. Sorry John S but that is the truth. He was not charged and was told he would not be but he would have to give him the meat.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He did say that the WCO told him that he was not charging him because he did not think he knew it was baited but because the property was he had to take the meat

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Lou
I know that you stated it twice but there is no way that those are correct circumstances, your buddy is leaving alot out of the story, that just does not happen
Hoytxcutter, you are very quick to solam the WCO without knowing the facts, if you had said that to me, you and I would have a long talk together.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know where it came from that he can't hunt next year, He didn't lose his license. I can't say that he is or isn't leaving anything out but. He was told that no charges would be filed against him but he would have to turn over the meat. My simple question was if he isn't to be charged with killing the deer or hunting over the bait is why does he have to give up the meat. He knew he was being investigated and was relieved to hear that he would not be charged but was confused as to why he would have to give up the meat. Anyway he will contact a lawyer about it tomorrow and ask him the same question.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He did and was told that even though he was satisfied that he didn't know the property was baited the deer was shot on baited property. I did state that in an earlier post

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
longbeard lou said:
... Anyway he will contact a lawyer about it tomorrow and ask him the same question.
If he has a problem asking the WCO, have him call the PGC North Central Region HQ at 570-398-4744 and discuss with a supervisor. Don't waste money on an attorney.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
So bottom line....the deer was shot on baited property, correct? Even though your friend didn't know it was baited, correct? Thus it isn't a legal deer.....that's what I am getting out of this. And yes I understand your point, just trying to figure out the WCO's reasoning.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
chopper57 said:
i agree with hoytxcutter,,,, if the story is true
And both of you could be wrong together.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Lou - I would check that story out with your friend again. Maybe the deer has been a donation to feed the hungry program. Lots of butchers participate. One that I know of, if you do not pick up your processed venison by January 1, it's gone to feed the needy.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts