The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Contender carbine and have the chance to buy a 410 barrel for it but it's 16" long. I didn't know if that's legal to hunt with. Any input would be greatly appeciated.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The minimum legnth of a shotgun barrel to be legal is 18 inches under both state and federal law.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I don't believe their is a legal barrel length for hunting. As long as their is a definate determinaion that the frame is registured as a pistol or a carbine. However, their is a legal barrel length before you must SBR the firearm.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
John S said:
The minimum legnth of a shotgun barrel to be legal is 18 inches under both state and federal law.
YES, BUT if his frame is registured as a pistol he's fine and he has a LCCF or a sportsman permit.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i would make sure its legal to own first. its what the atf calls a SBS (short barreled shotgun).

Short barreled shotguns (SBSs)—this category is defined similarly to SBRs, but the barrel must be at least 18" instead of 16", and the barrel must be a smoothbore. The minimum overall length limit remains 26".

my understanding with the contenders is that if you put a rifle buttstock on it, it becomes a rifle. in other words if you have a contender with a 14" 30/30 barrel and put a rifle buttstock on it, you're breaking the law.

i would consult with the PSP to be sure. your timing may be bad though.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You have to use the pistol grips, and it is considered a pistol barrel not a shotgun. .45 LC rifled barrel.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is no handgun registration in PA as per 18 Pa.C.S ss 6111.4
A shot gun with a barrel under 18" is regulated under the National Firearms Act and must be registered with the Federal government. You must have approval from the ATF to posses a NFA weapon. Minimum over all length for a smooth barrel shotgun is 26".

·
Registered
813 Posts
Check to see if the barrel is rifled. If it is a rifled barrel then it would be legal at that length.

Rifle barrel minimum length is 16" as stated before. Minimum overall length is 26" for a rifle. If the barrel is less than 16" it is a pistol and can not have a stock under NFA rules. If it were to have a stock it would be classified as a short barrel rifle and must be registered with the Federal Government requiring ATF approval to possess.

·
Super Moderator
12,812 Posts
Is the measurement on a shot gun barrel than from the front or rear of the chamber?

·
Registered
813 Posts
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts