The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A legislative issue but here are some examples of what is legal and not legal to hunt with in Pa.

This is legal in the SRA for deer. In our most highly populated and heavily hunted areas of the state where the chance of a non hunting citizen seeing a hunter with one of these evil guns is greatest. Even where semi auto is legal, few use them and even fewer choose "assault shotguns". Hunters united around our right to shoot people recently with the anti gun legislation yet divide over allowing our game agency to regulate them for hunting.

This not legal in the rest of the state for squirrel.

This is not legal in the rest of the state for coyotes.

This is not legal in the rest of the state for deer.

·
Registered
24,065 Posts
are you saying i can use an AR for yotes in a SRA and i can use a semi auto 22 lr in a SRA for small game?

but not in the rest of the state?

why not make it legal all over PA?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
No only the semi auto shotgun is legal in the sra for deer, but not the rest of the state.
The pictures make a poor way to prove the point. Your sx3 with slug barrel is legal for deer season in the sra, but not the big woods. doesn't make sense, but that is the law as written

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bohunr said:
are you saying i can use an AR for yotes in a SRA and i can use a semi auto 22 lr in a SRA for small game?
No. Those are not legal under current law.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TeflonDon said:
The pictures make a poor way to prove the point.
I think they make a excellent point as it relates to the context of the issue. When I have brought it up to reps and our commissioners, I commonly hear the social concerns. A pgc commissioner said they do not want to see kid in the paper holding a semi automatic with his deer. Well, in our most highly populated and hunted areas of the state we allow not only semi automatic firearms but they can look like what I posted and be perfectly legal, yet outside of the SRA, a wood stocked Marlin rimfire for squirrel or a desert camo AR is not legal for coyotes.

Alot of hypocrisy and contradictions when one looks at the issue. Sportsmen united recently around the semi automatic issue yet wish to divide over giving our game agency the ability to regulate semi automatics for hunting and furthering our gun rights.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If the point of this thread is to confuse people.... Then by golly consider your agenda pushed.

Shouldn't this be in the anti game commission... I mean legislative category?

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will take sportsmen and the sporting orgs to have the will to push for legislation allowing our game agency to regulate all legal firearms for hunting. It will also take the PGC willing to state that they support this legislation.

Sportsmen united recently after Newtown and blamed the person behind the gun, then many of these same sportsmen then blame the gun when the discussion turns to hunting with them.

Alot of hypocrisy and contradictions in these discussions.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
personally, I think it is a GREAT way of displaying your point, others apparently need to look again, read carefully and try to understand. Funny in a world where we aren't supposed to judge by looks/color, we do just that with a gun. Doesn't make much sense, now does it.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bucky VA said:
If the point of this thread is to confuse people.... Then by golly consider your agenda pushed.

Shouldn't this be in the anti game commission... I mean legislative category?
The PGC has no authority to regulate semi auto. I would like to see them ask for legislation to allow them to do it though.

No purposeful attempts at confusing. Just pointing out some confusing laws pertaining to hunting with semi auto in this state and the contradictions that exist within them.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Wow, way to put up a pic of a shotgun that looks identical to an AR rifle. Never satisfied huh? You got big money to throw around, move to another state that allows all the weapons you want to hunt with (tanks, machine guns, flame throwers, grenades, etc).

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
archeryman32 said:
Wow, way to put up a pic of a shotgun that looks identical to an AR rifle. Never satisfied huh? You got big money to throw around, move to another state that allows all the weapons you want to hunt with (tanks, machine guns, flame throwers, grenades, etc).
prior to all this "ban AR's" nonsense, the gun posted above cost LESS than most of the Benelli's carried by all the guys up in the goose hunting forum. you can't go by today's price, as it is inflated a few hundred percent.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You really think there are people carrying that gun around in the SRA's? If there were even ONE person carrying that, I'd eat my hat.

This post is littered with exaggerations and pushes of a man who is never satisfied, and always wants the next big weapon. The use of words "Evil" and then posting pictures of a gun that is "technically" legal, but not one uses, backs my claims.

His current pushes are :

-Semi autos legal for all game
-sunday hunting
-inlines in flintlock
-early buck season for muzzleloaders

That's just to name a few.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
honestly, I don't know. I personally know 3 people with that exact gun (not counting myself) but we all live out of the SRA zones.

I'm personally in favor of legalizing semis for small game and predator, just to remove the stigma from them.
the other items you listed, well that's for another time/thread.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
And think about it, does it make sense to push such weapons in this political climate. Trust me, the OP would most def be "that guy" that walks through Pittsburgh suburbia carrying such a weapon, just b/c he can.

Great! That will look great on the local news, when everyone calls the cops saying there is a man carrying a machine gun in camo walking through my backyard.

He has proven over and over he wants what is best for him, under the guise of women, children, elderly, and getting more involved in the sport.

He's not shy about it. I'm sure he'll come on here and agree there are reasons why he wants all those things legalized. He's quite good at opening pandora's box, and he'll use the same tactics he's used before to get what he wants.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
archeryman32 said:
And think about it, does it make sense to push such weapons in this political climate.
Should we bow to the antis then and wait? Will there be a better time? Is it the gun or the person behind the gun? Why are semis legal in our most heavily hunted and populated areas of state but illegal outside of them? Do we only care if a non hunter see us with a semi if we are hunting but don't care if we are target shooting?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
dpms said:
archeryman32 said:
And think about it, does it make sense to push such weapons in this political climate.
Should we bow to the antis then and wait? Will there be a better time? Is it the gun or the person behind the gun? Why are semis legal in our most heavily hunted and populated areas of state but illegal outside of them? Do we only care if a non hunter see us with a semi if we are hunting but don't care if we are target shooting?
You're twisting the facts again and you know it! Shotguns man, just shotguns. Please dont try to spin this that hard just to fit your agenda.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
archeryman32 said:
He has proven over and over he wants what is best for him, under the guise of women, children, elderly, and getting more involved in the sport.
Everything I have stood for over the years I stated my case with multiple reasons why I felt it was the right thing to do. Some of those initiatives I have seen happen, others I have not. None of those that have happened have destroyed our sport or the image of hunters. Much to your dismay.

And I do not recall using women, the elderly or kids as a guise in this discussion.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
archeryman32 said:
You're twisting the facts again and you know it! Shotguns man, just shotguns. Please dont try to spin this that hard just to fit your agenda.
Not twisting at all. We are talking semi automatic Shotguns sometimes shooting saboted single projectile ammunition in our most highly populated and hunted areas of the state. This isn't the big woods of Potter.

And you didn't answer my questions. Just saying.

·
Super Moderator
8,061 Posts
Um......I can tell some folks don't like the OP, but, honestly, I don't see the issue with semi-auto's being legal to hunt.

I hear lots of guys rapping out plenty fast shots with Rem 760's/7600's and with lever guns. I see it the same as a slug only zone.....how is a shot a safer shot with shotgun than a rifle (assuming slugs in the shotgun)?

How is it safer to use a manually operated rifle than a semiauto? Multiple shots fired? That can't happen with a manually operated rifle?

Folks may take issue with the OP's style of presenting the issue, but the issue he presents is valid, imho.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts