The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at left handed shotguns and finding out that they are limited especially within the budget. The question I have is if a person buys a right handed pump shotgun and shoots it left handed would there be issues with spent shell cases and powder hitting that person in the face upon ejection. The safety is thumb operated.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm looking at left handed shotguns and finding out that they are limited especially within the budget. The question I have is if a person buys a right handed pump shotgun and shoots it left handed would there be issues with spent shell cases and powder hitting that person in the face upon ejection. The safety is thumb operated.
yes it is possible. at the very least it would be a distraction if you notice the shell going past your face when ejecting the spent shell.
your best option is a gun that ejects from the bottom of the receiver like a Browning BPS.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would highly recommend the browning BPS

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ive been using r/h 870s for a very long time, and have never been bothered by ejected shells or the r/h safety.
I also had several Rem pump action deer rifles like a new model 141 when I was a young kid, and later a 760.
No issues with those either. It's mind over matter, and if you don't mind it don't matter.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My dad has been shooting right hand pumps for 50+ years with no issues at all....He does shoot a left handed Ruger for big game though

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I never had a problem with pumps levers or semis...it's more of a problem where the safety is located or if it can be turned around for left handed shooters.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished watching a video of the exact same gun I'm looking at for my daughter to use as she is a true lefty. It seems the shell being ejected with the right hand gun after the shot would'nt be a issue as stated in the replies above. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I am 77 years old , been shooting an 870 pump since I was 14, never had a problem with RH pump, would not want a LH after all these years as I might get confused on the safety in a rush and miss a good shot.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am a lefty and have had no issues with shooting right handed pump and semi shotguns or rem 760's and AR's. I never even noticed the ejected shells I will say if you are concerned look into left handed or bottom ejecting shotguns. I have an Ithaca M37 and M87 that are bottom ejecting which is nice. I do now own a LH eject semi auto Beretta but I didn't seek one out it just happened to be in the shop the same time I was so I bought it. Honestly I never noticed the difference between a LH and RH ejecting action. The most important part is that you can have the safety flipped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts