The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I belong to a camp near Leetonia and have never been up to hunt it yet. The camp I have gone to for many years was sold.

I love to go to camp and would like to know how the deer and turkey hunting is in general in the area.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The trout fishing is good in that region. Not sure about the hunting.

Can I stay at the cabin in the summertime when yinz aren't there?

I'll sweep the floor and mow the yard. When I'm not fishing. :)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Check out the history of Leetonia sometime, it's very interesting. That was a large sawmill and a fairly substantial village there at one time. And there are photos of this.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There are no deer in Leetonia, only bear. The coyotes have eaten all the turkey and grouse.
Great place for rattlesnakes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Google lost in Leetonia I guess its called a blog it hasent been to active lately
but there is a lot of good stories and info

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I belong to a camp near Leetonia and have never been up to hunt it yet. The camp I have gone to for many years was sold.

I love to go to camp and would like to know how the deer and turkey hunting is in general in the area.

Thanks guys.

Don't be too surprised by the responses you get on this question. Probably not to helpful.
Best thing to do is get in touch with the local WCO in that area.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I scout the woods north of Leetonia. Te deer are few and the ones I seen alive and dead are large. Last fall off of Fanneystock Road we found great sign. DCNR employees do very well back in there too. You have to scout and it is hard hunting but there are deer and also a large bear population. Good luck

·
Registered
524 Posts
Spent my youth going to a camp on the Fahnestock Road. Many memories reside there. Fishing, hiking, swimming in the swimming hole south of Leetonia.
There are only a few camps on the Fahnestock with active deer hunters. Several camps are vacant in deer season. As noted the deer are few, but for the most part nice ones. Turkey are not as plentiful as they once were. Leetonia is a beautiful spot. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My brother n law and his family had a camp there throughout the 2000's and up until 2015. Hunted there several times and the deer population definitely has declined but are some big deer up there. Have seen some huge sheds from that area. Very nice area however and good trout fishing.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Spent my youth going to a camp on the Fahnestock Road. Many memories reside there. Fishing, hiking, swimming in the swimming hole south of Leetonia.
There are only a few camps on the Fahnestock with active deer hunters. Several camps are vacant in deer season. As noted the deer are few, but for the most part nice ones. Turkey are not as plentiful as they once were. Leetonia is a beautiful spot. Enjoy it.

Is that the swimming hole right off the road where you can jump off a few large rocks?

·
Registered
524 Posts
It is! Across from the night-n-gale camp. Hiked many times up the mountain to the east there, commonly called "chimney rocks". Interesting rock columns on top of a knife like ridgeline.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have been to that swimming hole a few times over the years, never knew about the chimney rocks that sounds cool. My bro n law said he was there one time and some guy was there with goggles and said there were some monster trout in there.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
There is good trout in there. Swam that hole as a teenager. Always very very cold. My relatives have a camp on the switchbacks down toward cedar run. Whipporwill its called. As for deer ive seen some good ones bear hunting up behind leetonia. Never deer hunted there. For turkey there is some decent areas around leetonia but more over at "buella lands". I probally butchered that spelling.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Depends exactly where you are hunting. We have a camp up on leetonia road and have hunted areas of the Tioga State forest. Deer are few and far between (mind you this was several years ago) but we saw far more buck than doe. Of those bucks we have shoot 5 over the course of a few years and each of them were 115" or greater. There are places that most definitely should and could hold deer but when you drive the area sign is few and far between without seeing a deer. Your going to hunt multiple days without seeing a deer but when you do its likely to be a shooter buck once you see one

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends exactly where you are hunting. We have a camp up on leetonia road and have hunted areas of the Tioga State forest. Deer are few and far between (mind you this was several years ago) but we saw far more buck than doe. Of those bucks we have shoot 5 over the course of a few years and each of them were 115" or greater. There are places that most definitely should and could hold deer but when you drive the area sign is few and far between without seeing a deer. Your going to hunt multiple days without seeing a deer but when you do its likely to be a shooter buck once you see one

Thanks guys for all the replies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts