The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They started picking leeks in certain parts of Potter county! I will be getting some this weekend.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Really? wow, that seems early. i will have to check my spots. makes sense though, my daffodils are coming up. can't wait for morels.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
They started picking leeks in certain parts of Potter county!
Really ??? You sure you weren't being bamboozled in some watering hole ?
I have NEVER heard of em being up, let alone picking size in mid-Feb. Even at that, I would think Southern PA would start sooner than Potter.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
mmmmm, chopped leaks mixed in real cream cheese with a little plain yogurt. a few pretzel rods for dippin'.

need to get a good leek soup recipe this year too since i found the motherload of leek fields last year. shouldn't be too hard.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just leek or leek and potato soup? I can help you with a leek and potato soup, not leek only soup.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
This is the one I use, it is for domestic leeks so you may want to reduce the amount of wild ones.

Ingredients
3 cups sliced leeks, white and tender green parts
3 cups peeled and roughly chopped baking potatoes, like russets
6 cups water
11/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
1/3 cup minced chives or parsley

Directions

In a large heavy saucepan, bring the leeks, potatoes, water, and salt to the boil over high heat. Cover partially, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Correct the seasoning, to taste, and puree with a handheld immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor.

Whisk in the cream and reheat before serving. Top each serving with a dollop of creme fraiche and sprinkling of fresh chives.

To Make creme fraiche- mix two table spoons of buttermilk into a cup of heavy cream, stir well. Cover container with a clean cloth and let sit on countertop for 20 to 24 hours until the mixture thickens. Then cover and put in the fridge. While you can use sour cream, creme fraiche is better and easy to make.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
they dont have to be up to find them. they may be smaller but they are there... unless you are after the greens you can dig leeks year round as long as the ground isnt frozen.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Im still eating them from last springs pick. I freeze them in Mason Jars An old timer told me to use mason jars and not Freezer Bags. It works great. just like they came out of the ground.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The earliest that I ever got leeks was late March. I did see them in my patches crowning with red points earlier but always waited.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I picked them a couple years ago with freinds in Mckean county. It was unbelievable how many there was and how easy it was to fill 5 gallon pails.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
That is where I go and true enough there are mountain sides covered with leeks. Driving with the windows down you can wind them. I can't wait for Trout and Leeks.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Not that his recipe didn't aleady have the makings, but that should ensure the next check-up at the Doc's will not result in an attaboy.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well we finally got up in the hills, raked some leaves and got some really nice leeks. Time for ham/leek & potato soup.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I dug a 5 gal bucket full last Friday in Armstrong Co.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts