The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
have 2 of em... one set for 20ga and other for 12...

very easy to use and pretty quick. i mounted mine on a board to weigh the bottom and do it as i watch tv in the living room... just won't do the 3.5's tho (i still buy turkey load and waterfowl) but haven't bought a box of others for a year now... worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
my son has that exact model,he only loads for skeet and it performs great,i've fired his skeet loads in my browning auto-5 and niver had a failure or an ejection problem.it works great and you cant beat the price.just make sure you secure it nice and tight to the bench.i personally have a mec,but i must say that my sons lee does an admiral job for the money.my mec is going on 27years and still cranks em out.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Check on e-bay or craigslist before you buy one from Cabelas you can get one cheaper. If your going to spend that kind of money look at a Mec. A 12 gauge can be had for the same price used and it will last a life time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
to take on to what spunky said...
i bought one for $20 on craiglist
and the other for $35 from the shopper....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought a load all for $37 new. If i like it and start doing a lot I'll buy the mec stuff this is just a starter to see if I like doing it.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I've been keepen an eye on this thread. I've pondered getting one of these for my hunting loads. I have mosty older shotguns with fixed chokes. At least my 20 gaug guns are fixed choke. I would like some spreader loads, but refuse to pay the price. I'm sure I could load some for a fraction of the cost.

Normally some cheapo shells work just fine for what I need. If I can save the hulls, and reload maybe a box o year of spreader shot it would be worth it to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Lee load all is a good product for the money. I have 3 of them set up for 12,16,&20 ga. I've used these for almost 30 yrs. I load shot, buck shot & slugs with good results. I would recommend these to anybody, not the speed but still lots of fun.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow,this has to be the first time I've read anything good about these. I had one in 20ga given to me. It didn't load for crap. I gave it back to the person who gave it to me. MEC 600 JR is the way to go. All metal and you can make adjustments.

hunt/fish
If you want to reload spreaders just cut the peddals off the wads. This will open up the pattern. I do this with my Grouse loads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally found some shot and tried it out. I am actually impressed at how easy it is to use once it is set up. I'll be loading lots of shells on it to see how it holds up. I think it was a good buy for me due to the fact that I won't be loading thousands of shells.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My uncle just got one for 12. For 40 bucks everyone should buy one because shells are expensive.
He told me what loader he ordered I didnt have alot of hope. Let me honestly say this machine is simple and makes shells if done right that you cant tell from factory or reload. I did notice the bushing's arent exactly what the book says but .. They probably kept them on the low side for safty reasons

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Each lot of powder will weight different with the bushings. That's why they keep them on the low side. If you need to get a small round file and go to work until you get the right grains or go with a larger one and add some tape to the inside to make it hold less.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The good,
It doesnt cost alot, and makes exellent shells when you do everything right. Shells, wads, powder weight, ect.
The Bad,
it is a pain to change to different shot sizes, and powders because there is no way to empty the hoppers other than work them though the system.
the Ugly,
If you ever find yourself trying to empty the hoppers by taking off the lid and dumping out powder or shot, you most probably will mix the 2.

If this happends, do not despair,
Sift the shot and powder mix with a playing card, and an old album cover. Some of the old timers here might remember this trick from sifting other things.
It works very well for this application as well.

I bought my lee load all in 1977, brand new it was 18.99 at Effingers in S. bound Brook NJ.It out lasted the store where I bought it.
I still load with it, and have never had an issue when I remember to do my part with the right hulls, wads,shot and powder charge.
My 2 cents
Roland

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I think I could do an infomercial for Lee about the Load All! I shot trap in a league for a couple years with my brother and my buddy, and every shell we shot for those two years was loaded on my lee load all, and by me. And every hunting shell that I, my son, a few of my buddies, and my brother shot for many years was loaded on my load all! Killed a lot of birds (both clay and feathered) with my reloads! Can honestly say that between my RCBS Rockchucker and my Load All it's a toss up as to which one is the best investment money I've ever spent!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its kind of funny I just bought the lee loadall a few weeks ago and now found 2 used mec 600 jrs for $25 for both of them. needless to say I'm going to keep the load all for my 3" mags and use the other 2 for other loads. Every time I get something I find a better deal a few weeks later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts