The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what others do. I shoot 4-5 nights a week in my basement and/or outside and have been doing so since summer really. I was restringing the bow all the time but hear of late have been leaving it strung. Which is the proper way. Does it damage the bow leaving it strung for any length of time?? Should I be stringing and unstringing often?? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Mine stays strung for months at a time. Never had any problems. A lot of folks have left theirs strung for long periods of time and saw no change in performance.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If you shoot on a consistent level 1 or 2X a week then you will risk doing more damage-limb twist- by re-stringing unnecessarily. My longbow has been strung since August.

Now if you're shooting self bows, unstring after each session.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
During the season mine stays strung. I have never had a problem (I don't leave it in a hot vehicle all day though, that is not recommended)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Imagine each bow reacts differently and it is a trade-off. Leave it strung and take a chance the string will eventually get cut or break and possibley delaminate the bow. String it every time and take the chance of eventually twisting a limb. If hunting for a week, I leave mine strung. For occasional shooting, I use a good stringer and unstring it carefully. I have been shooting recurves for 45 years and of those I have seen always left strung, they "seem" to lose draw weight. Most recently, a friend who never unstrings his Assenheimer had it drop 6-7 pounds in a little over two years. I also shoot an Assenheimer and the last time I checked, my draw weight was still close to the rating on the bow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts