The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have been following the progress of the Wild Pheasant Program in Pennsylvania you should get your hands on a copy of the Summer edition of the PF Journal Of Upland Conservation. The story is titled " On The Verge", it talks about a wild pheasant hunt in near future. More importantly it talks about the great success the program has had to date. It was good to see the Appleman family receive some recognition that they so much deserve.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I saw that in the magazine but didn't have a chance to read it. I was glad to see it in the national magazine.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I got my issue yesterday. I flipped through and saw the article, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Bwire: There is a pic of one of your vizsla's in the magazine too.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
Glad to see things are starting to jell, hope the program
becomes bigger each and every year.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Springspan said:
I got my issue yesterday. I flipped through and saw the article, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Bwire: There is a pic of one of your vizsla's in the magazine too.
Yes, I did see that. The things my wife puts the dogs through. At least with no daughters, the dogs avoided the dreaded painted toe nails.

It was nice to see the people who put a lot into the WPRA get some recognition for it.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
For those who want to read it, here is a link to the Pheasants Forever Magazine article. A better way to get it is by becoming a member. There are other great articles too.

PF Magazine Article

·
Registered
921 Posts
Read It very good! Great job Lynn! Bwire my visla's got purple toe nails!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
BristolBirdDog said:
Bwire my visla's got purple toe nails!
I guess that means you have a lest one daughter.

Our neighbor's girls used to do the same thing to their lab. I always got a chuckle out of it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hope it was my daughter who did it if it was my son I got a whole new problem!!hehehe

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
How do you guys feel about trappers in the Wild Pheasant Recovery areas? I've done quite a bit of scouting for predators in the areas you're talking about and I'm planning both a foothold and CR line in a few areas next winter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
# 17, I live in the middle of the Central Susquehanna WPRA and have 3 English Setters and I get great pleasure training and running my dogs. When I see signs of traps along the small water ways, I just avoid those locations. With 95,000 acres in the WPRA, I can find other places to run my dogs. We need to share this place called "The Great Outdoors" and respect how others use it.

However, I think the PGC missed an very easy opportunity to the increase the chances of the reintroduction being successful, or achieving success in fewer years, by not having a action item/measurable goal(s) of trapping in the agency's master plan.

In an effort to increase the survival rate of nesting hens and their eggs, the agency and Pheasant Forever could have solicited/encouraged trapper's to actively trap those predator's living on the ground.

Those that developed the plan and PF think that the use of sporting dogs inside the WPRA will be a detriment preventing the plan from being successful.

Trapping many of the ground predators and not radio collaring hens would have dramatically increased the number of birds allowing the agency's to deem the program a success and allowing sporting dog owners to enjoy their dogs 12 months of the year.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I know they do number surveys with dogs out here, and I'd like to avoid having traps/snares out at that time if at all possible.
Is there a place or number to contact to know when these surveys are done?
I certainly don't want to be catching dogs, so I believe cooperation on this matter is crucial.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Sundays in February are flushing survey days.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
There's a state legislator proposing a bounty on Yote's. Here's what I don't get. THEY (the people that know more than me) say that a bounty system on predators actually will INCREASE their numbers. I'm sure there is a scientific name for that action/reaction, but I don't know it. So, if a bounty system on predators supposedly increase their numbers in the end, won't trapping have the same effect ? Bounty or not ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts