The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone here has been to the Tandy Leather Co. store down towards Pitts. I was gonna try to hit it up tomorrow and wanted to see some opinions of what to expect, ie good deals, big store, worth the trip etc. im looking for some leather an stuff to make some possibles bags and a case for my pa long rifle. ive ordered from the catalog but never been to the store.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I buy from Tandy, and I go the a Tandy store in CT. They are a great supplier for anything leatherwork. I make western holsters, and they always have something I need. My local store owner is very helpful, and willing to take the time to teach. Hopefully yours is too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Never been to their store(s) but I have purchased Tandy leather for several projects in the past and their bulk and pieces have been top of the line quality.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i made it to the Delmont store on thursday. Nice ladies working there. Good sale prices esp. on deer and elk skin. Picked up a sweet piece of elk skin to make a case for my Pa Long Rifle, and some hide to make a new possibles bag. Only problem was on the way home when the big rig in front of me threw up some rocks and 2x4 pieces and smeared my front fender and door.
Oh well!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Grinnin Bear, Sorry to hear about your vehicle!!!
I bought some deer hides and some cowhide at an auction. I was wondering where do you recommend for info on working with it to make items like a rifle case?

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
There are probably several web site for such work. Or if there are books on the subject. There is a series of books called the Book of BUCKSKINNING (1, 2, 3, 4 and maybe up to 8 or 9. see if a library has those available. (keep in mind that some library sytems can order them in from other libraries in the region.) The books are a little dated but have several good articles.

And [censored] for leather stores, the Leather Factory on Cameron Street in Harrisburg near the farm show complex has just about everything imagineable for working with leather. It just isn't in a show room type setting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Patriot! it should get fixed next week in time for some small game hunting

as far as patterns or ideas like zimmer said. there are alot of websites and good book references. I do alot of craft/leatherwork with the BSA and also for Powwows. I do alot of Native American items and usually get ideas and patterns at the powwows. I know there is a good series of patterns for various buckskinning items from Crazy Crow, and companies like them. A quick search on their site will yield a lot of good info. In fact ill be at a powwow at the CCBC Dome in Monaca Pa this weekend, if anyone here is bored and wants to see something really nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts