The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of columbia hiking boots that finaly fit after many years of having "fat feet"..they are actually quite comfy now and the vibram soles are in great shape. i want to treat the leather before we get real nasty around here.
In the past, my dad and I used to be religious about using sno-seal. I remember my dad baking the snow seal into his boots every year he'd put at least two coats on them. I recently saw these boots - they are now over 22 years old (Honest...I need to get a pic of them for you guys - they are in PERFECT shape)

I was wondering if there is anything that can compete with sno-seal or if it's still the cat's meow? I'm short a bunch of bear fat...and whale blubber...so I'm pretty certain I'll need something man-made at this point

edit...just a bit more info. the boots I have are Columbia Diablo Pass Titanium - got them for some website work I did for http://www.circlelg.com way back in the day - nice group of people out there and I worked off a bit of gear with them.

the leather has been in better condition, the toes are a little frayed and starting to dry - so something that will condition the leather, not clog it, and allow the still functioning but many years old gore-tex still do it's job is paramount?

Sno-seals website says mink oil will clock the leather. Kiwi says bees wax will clog the leather...what's a guy to do?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hern - i'm off to get a tub today over lunch. my boots really need it...they look thirsty.

Mossie...Neat! Never thought of something like that...necessity IS the mother of invention and with the weather here in PA i can't imagine what it's like to try to keep a frizzen dry

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
many yrs ago i used mink oil on my herman boots(they were good boots back then) i thought the silicon in sno-seal would clog the leather. i had those boots for 15 yrs before i had to retire them. i wore them daily in HS in the winter then on jobsites as well as hunting after school and the service.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my boots were THIRSTY. they are darker now...but water PROOF. to 50 fathoms below the sea LOL...Sno-Seal ROCKS. my wife is still looking for her old toothbrush...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.