The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of columbia hiking boots that finaly fit after many years of having "fat feet"..they are actually quite comfy now and the vibram soles are in great shape. i want to treat the leather before we get real nasty around here.
In the past, my dad and I used to be religious about using sno-seal. I remember my dad baking the snow seal into his boots every year he'd put at least two coats on them. I recently saw these boots - they are now over 22 years old (Honest...I need to get a pic of them for you guys - they are in PERFECT shape)

I was wondering if there is anything that can compete with sno-seal or if it's still the cat's meow? I'm short a bunch of bear fat...and whale blubber...so I'm pretty certain I'll need something man-made at this point

edit...just a bit more info. the boots I have are Columbia Diablo Pass Titanium - got them for some website work I did for http://www.circlelg.com way back in the day - nice group of people out there and I worked off a bit of gear with them.

the leather has been in better condition, the toes are a little frayed and starting to dry - so something that will condition the leather, not clog it, and allow the still functioning but many years old gore-tex still do it's job is paramount?

Sno-seals website says mink oil will clock the leather. Kiwi says bees wax will clog the leather...what's a guy to do?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hern - i'm off to get a tub today over lunch. my boots really need it...they look thirsty.

Mossie...Neat! Never thought of something like that...necessity IS the mother of invention and with the weather here in PA i can't imagine what it's like to try to keep a frizzen dry

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
many yrs ago i used mink oil on my herman boots(they were good boots back then) i thought the silicon in sno-seal would clog the leather. i had those boots for 15 yrs before i had to retire them. i wore them daily in HS in the winter then on jobsites as well as hunting after school and the service.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my boots were THIRSTY. they are darker now...but water PROOF. to 50 fathoms below the sea LOL...Sno-Seal ROCKS. my wife is still looking for her old toothbrush...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
warm the boots, then add the snowseal, and if need be break out the old ladys hair dryer you will be able to watch it soak right into the leather

1 - 9 of 9 Posts