The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Leased land in NW PA is going for $8 to $10 an acre for hunting. If you got land that your leasing to a farmer for crops, I'll agree it's going for between $20 to $40 an acre.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Farmers are paying around $70/acre I believe, atleast down here in MD they are. $8-10 in NW PA maybe but your not finding anything that cheap near Lancaster. Hunting land is going for $50-100/acre on the Eastern Shore of MD and $30-60 on the western shore and Lancaster is not too far from here. Hunting is not cheap

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Ive been looking for a small lease in 2B but not having much luck. Did find one, it was like 110 acres for $1500. Not a terrible price but it wasn't an exclusive lease. Thats something you need to ask when looking at a lease... Is anyone else allowed to hunt here?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sportsman's clubs are another option. My local sportsman's club costs $20 a year and has like 150 acres the members can hunt. I see deer everytime I go out there and hardly ever run into any other hunters expect on the saturdays of rifle season.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another option is to contact some timber companies. That's who I lease from and they want us to shoot as many deer as we can. Those small trees are their future income and they don't like the deer cutting into their profits.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I was paying $800 a year for 100 acres far north of you. Not farm land, just woods and swamp. Great duck area, not good for deer. $800 was a fair price til the owners nephew ,son, and 2 friends from college showed up on the first day of duck season. 3 of my stands took a walk in archery season, and rifle season was a free for all from all the neighbors who "hunted here for years". I even had one trespassing neighbor invite me to join in the drive through my lease to push the Laural swamp twards his property.

Buyer beware!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yeah takes a few years of getting the property posted and then patrolling it for a year or two to get most of the guys "who have hunted there for years" out.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
tad42 said:
Another option is to contact some timber companies. That's who I lease from and they want us to shoot as many deer as we can. Those small trees are their future income and they don't like the deer cutting into their profits.
Its curious that if they want a high number of deer removed, that they would lease it in the first place. Doesn't sound like they are thinking too far ahead.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
HighCountry66 said:
tad42 said:
Its curious that if they want a high number of deer removed, that they would lease it in the first place. Doesn't sound like they are thinking too far ahead.
It's about liability. If they lease they know whos on their land and can cover them under their insurance.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Why do they need to cover them under their insurance? If they are leasing, why don't they require the lessee's to carry insurance?

Alot of timber companies have parcels they lease, and others that are open to the public.

I thought the laws removed or limited liability anyways. Are you certain that is the reason?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
My lease owner has much better liability insurance than we could afford so they cover all of us. The laws do not remove liabilty, maybe limit it some but anyone could trespass, get hurt on your land and sue you. It's a shame but true.

Stetam

1 - 20 of 29 Posts