The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this making any progress or is it dead? I haven't followed it very closely, but am curious.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Last it was brought up it was passed over right away. Guessing it's not from them not wanting it, just they don't see it as a priority right now. Hey, nothing illegal with "taking your dog" for a walk during hunting season... I'm actually looking at getting a wired haired dach. numerous times this year I coulda have used him to track for friends/family, all of which lost the deer. Knowing there were options to "do more" to recover those animals makes me want to get one and start training even more!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like your friends and family need more practice with the weapon they are using and need to be more proficient with shot placement. I can understand this situation on occasion, but numerous? Someone needs more practice. Just saying. But on the subject at hand, could never understand why tracking dogs are illegal. Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
As long as they are leashed what would be the problem? I just can't see how anyone would prosecute someone if the dog was leashed.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Killin'time said:
Last it was brought up it was passed over right away. Guessing it's not from them not wanting it, just they don't see it as a priority right now. Hey, nothing illegal with "taking your dog" for a walk during hunting season... I'm actually looking at getting a wired haired dach. numerous times this year I coulda have used him to track for friends/family, all of which lost the deer. Knowing there were options to "do more" to recover those animals makes me want to get one and start training even more!
Must be more friends then family.

·
Registered
111 Posts
HB881 was tabled in the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee last October and died at the end of the legislative session. i new bill is being circulated for Co-sponsorships right now in the House and should be introduced shortly. hopefully this will be the year it finally passes.

I recovered 24 deer this year with my dog in NJ and MD for hunters that could not find them by eye. Here's one I recovered in NJ in the December snow. It was gut shot and traveled 900 yards from the shot even though the hunter did not push it. It snowed during the night covering the trail and we found it the next morning for the hunter. i wonder how many PA deer were not recovered the same day because of the snow?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts