The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never picked wild mushrooms or berries but would love to start but don't know where to begin! How did you guys learn is there any book you would recommend? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is my collection. The books on the bottom are my favorites.
I highly recomend the field guide to wild mushrooms. It breaks them into seasons and all kind of great info. I carry the whole bottom row of books in my backpack when in the woods.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I started when I was about 17 years old. I had heard of these mushrooms that people were going crazy over called morels... The rest is history.

Once you find that first one you will feel the reward and want to get more and more. I don't know how many times I would go "check" a spot and not be able to leave for hours because I kept finding them.

It's a fun thing to do, morels are tough and people aren't going to give you much help. Best advice I ever got was read read read. Eventually you'll put a pattern together and know what types of areas to look for them in.

Beware. Mushrooms are a very condition pending resource.

If it rains to much they will die, if it doesn't rain enough
They will never come up. A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time.

I've picked a spot befor and got a half dozen or so, went back 2 days later and picked 100's

Good luck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
m-192 said:
Here is my collection. The books on the bottom are my favorites.
I highly recomend the field guide to wild mushrooms. It breaks them into seasons and all kind of great info. I carry the whole bottom row of books in my backpack when in the woods.
I'd like to get a hold of that bottom row of books, looks like a real valuable asset to have.

Anyway, with the morels it would be good to hook up with someone to show you first hand, really learn a lot like that. Problem being guys are secretive of there spots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bill Russell's field guide is invaluable to have since it focuses on PA where many other books are regional or national.

Another suggestion is to hook up with a local mushroom club. The Central PA Mushroom club is a great group of people that have monthly meetings and forays.

Overall, feed your mind with books and videos on youtube (GREAT resource), and more importantly spend time in the woods.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Chrisld do you feel most wood lots hold morels and it's just a matter of finding them or there only certain places that hold them. What kind of areas should I search?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts